Trouble shooting-Progress

More
1 year 4 months ago #9914 by SamIam
Replied by SamIam on topic Trouble shooting.
I do have the manual and I guess I really didn't notice the faint traces, but maybe I'll have to crop the pic take it to kinks and enlarge it. I hadn't thought of that before.

Here is a pic of the board. I know my solder joints are not pretty. Part of that is this was my first time with any real circuit board soldering, and part of it is from when I initially tried to trouble shoot and removed the tubes only to put them back. Others have pointed out how some joints look like they haven't been soldered yet, but that would just create an open circuit not a short.

I really do appreciate all your feedback and suggestions.

This browser does not support PDFs. Please download the PDF to view it: Download PDF

This browser does not support PDFs. Please download the PDF to view it: Download PDF

Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
1 year 4 months ago #9915 by Ty_Eeberfest
Replied by Ty_Eeberfest on topic Trouble shooting.
Sorry to keep asking for stuff, but can you re-post that picture in a better quality, like maybe a jpeg image that hasn't been scaled way down? That pdf image is a tease... I can see areas that look interesting but when I zoom in it's too blurry / pixellated to see what's going on.

You can use the "attachment" feature when posting here to upload a pretty decent sized jpeg image. I think you can go as big as 2MB.

Look into it later when the dust is clearing off the crater.

More
1 year 4 months ago #9917 by SamIam
Replied by SamIam on topic Trouble shooting.
I will try again but I kept getting a message saying 0.1MB was the limit. I did post the same but larger version on facebook as someone asked the same question. The comments suggested I clean the board with IPA and clean up my solder joints. Thats a lot of solder joints, which made me appreciate the directions that had a 'test' after each section.

No problem with the asks, like I said I really appreciate the all the help I can get. With no way to test individual components I have to assume they all work correctly, and that I either have an open or a short somewhere. I'm hoping someone has had the same or similar issue and either narrow down my search for a short/open somewhere or confirm that one of the components is not working correctly.

More
1 year 4 months ago #9918 by Ty_Eeberfest
Replied by Ty_Eeberfest on topic Trouble shooting.
Okay you are right about the upload size limit. I must've been thinking of a different site.

I agree with cleaning the board of flux residue with IPA or actual flux remover spray. It may not fix it but at least we eliminate one possibility. In the image you uploaded it looks like there are a few sketchy areas but it's hard to tell. Maybe you could upload a higher quality image to imgur.com or photobucket or something and link it here.

I don't think you have any bad components (except maybe that one LED).

I think Ian is here now... I'm gonna step back and see what his take on this is.

Look into it later when the dust is clearing off the crater.

More
1 year 4 months ago #9919 by Ian
Replied by Ian on topic Trouble shooting.
Tricky...

to me it looks a bit like one of the digital drive lines going to the K155 is stuck. It was a good idea to try and change the K155, but alas, that didn't change anything.

The thing is: There is a mapping between the real drive pins on the K155 and the digits, so setting 0000 on the K155 dies not get you digit 0. The mapping looks like this:

byte decodeDigit[16] = {2,3,7,6,4,5,1,0,9,8,10,10,10,10,10,10};

so to get 0 displayes, you have to put in B0111 = 7.

Working this back we get

digit you want - what you have to put on the K155
"0" - 0111
"1" - 0110
"2" - 0000
"3* - 0001
"4" - 0100
"5" - 0101
"6" - 0011
"7" - 0010
"8" - 1001
"9" - 1000

Let me think about what would happen if a bit was stuck and watch the video again

More
1 year 4 months ago #9920 by Ian
Replied by Ian on topic Trouble shooting.
so the sequence goes 2,2,3,4,5,5,4,x,x. Maybe 3 is shown first of all but that's not 100% clear.

Hmmm let's see what happens when some bits get stuck.

Moderators: AccutronTy_EeberfestIan
Time to create page: 0.169 seconds

Search

Tube Suppliers

Go to top
JSN Boot template designed by JoomlaShine.com