Trouble shooting-Progress

More
1 year 3 weeks ago #9895 by SamIam

During the initial build I developed a short between the 0 & 1 digit, I believe during the 4th Tube installation. Instead fo stopping then and troubleshooting, I continued. The problem didn't fix itself, and I even asked for a little help on here. I even replaced the K155id1 chip just in case. Then I had to take some time away from the project. I know have time to get back to it and this is what I get. I see the red option on the 1 LED doesn't work. I see that a few of the digits have a short somewhere, and others have a short with other digits. I have looked at the board and my solder joints and I don't see any obvious shorts.

I'm looking for any help in where to start and get this sorted out. Thank you

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
1 year 3 weeks ago #9901 by Ty_Eeberfest
I'd really like to see your video before I say anything but when I try to view it all I get is Facebook's "Sorry, this content isn't available right now" error page. Any chance you could put it on YouTube? Or change the permissions on your Facebook video so general public can see it?

Look into it later when the dust is clearing off the crater.

More
1 year 3 weeks ago #9904 by SamIam
Replied by SamIam on topic Trouble shooting-Progress
My apologizes I thought facebook would work. I can't seem to figure out how to change the settings on the video since I posted in a closed group, but I did upload it to you tube.

Any help would be appreciated. I have checked the red lead for the LED, and starting to think maybe the red one went out, but I know my soldering needs work too.

More
1 year 3 weeks ago #9905 by Ty_Eeberfest
Okay... that's really weird behavior. I should have asked you before: what is the model number of the tubes you are using? The way it's counting up then down is almost like the tube pinouts don't match the board. Then when it all goes blank it looks suspiciously like something throws a dead short across the high voltage.

Not sure about the red LED. Obviously the transistors and the controller outputs for all colors of LEDs are okay since it's just the one LED affected.

More
1 year 3 weeks ago #9906 by SamIam
Replied by SamIam on topic Trouble shooting-Progress
I'm not sure about the model number on the tubes, but I don't think matching with the word is an issue. I had to step away from the project for several months, but during construction, everything was going fine until the 5th? tube, then I think I shorted something out, on the one tube, since the other 5 worked fine. The problem tube just had 1 number that didn't run right. Somewhere along the line trouble shooting pause sitting things got worse. If I remember correctly I was able to determine it wasn't the tube. Part of my problem is I had to take so much time off during the troubleshooting and can't remember all the details.

The LED I have checked re checked and even tried to re solder the red lead, I'm starting to think the red diode is shot. I might have to remove the tube, so I can get to and test the LED.

More
1 year 3 weeks ago #9907 by Ty_Eeberfest
So you're saying that when you were initially connecting tubes you saw the clock count up in proper sequence with no "backing up" from 5 back to 4? This is really strange. It almost has to be hardware somehow because the code won't count backwards. If the code were corrupted I'd think it wouldn't run at all. Hmmm.

I don't really know what to say at this point. Hopefully when Ian sees your video he will recognize the behavior as something he has seen before.

Moderators: AccutronTy_EeberfestIan
Time to create page: 0.223 seconds

Search

Tube Suppliers

Go to top
JSN Boot template designed by JoomlaShine.com