Low Voltage Circuit Problem - Modular Nixie Clock

More
1 year 3 months ago #9781 by Ian
OK; thanks for getting back! Good to hear that we are back on the road again!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
1 year 3 months ago #9785 by Ty_Eeberfest
Glad to hear you got it working, Jan. I took a look at the manual to see what you meant about being mislead by it. I guess you mean the words "stripe on the board"? As you have discovered, "stripe" refers to the diode symbol printed on the board, not the white circle (which indicates where the body of the diode should sit). I'm not sure how this should be worded differently but I will think about it.

The one manual change I can suggest would be to get a brighter photo for Page 11. It might just be my monitor but I can not really see the white band on the diode in that photo/

Look into it later when the dust is clearing off the crater.

More
1 year 3 months ago #9815 by Lexxar
Yea either a brighter photo or maybe just add a hint in the identification manual where u just picture the schematic of a diode besides the real one with the hint of a correct polarity.

Another thing: I build the clock up to the point where i soldered my IN-8-2 tubes inside the appropriate holders. The LEDs cicyle through the routine as expected and the High Voltage is at 175V. Where i am confused is the suggested test routine in the manual "Once the six tube are mounted on their boards, and you have double checked the orientation of the boards, hook up the power, and check that the tubes cycle through their test routine. The digits “0” through “9” should be shown on each tube." --> The tubes do not show anything. Do i need some adjustments in the controller code for the different tube types? I cant find anything about it.

Best Regards
Jan

More
1 year 3 months ago #9816 by Ty_Eeberfest

Lexxar wrote: The LEDs cicyle through the routine as expected and the High Voltage is at 175V.

That means things are mostly okay: the processor is running, the HV generator is working and the tube holders are plugged in the right way.

Lexxar wrote: The tubes do not show anything. Do i need some adjustments in the controller code for the different tube types?

No software adjustment needed. I'm assuming your tubes are displaying absolutely nothing - not even a decimal point. Here are the only things I can think of:

1) 74141 chip bad or installed backwards

2) All optocouplers installed backwards

3) Tubes wired incorrectly to the tube holders

Also, just FYI, when the clock is in this test mode the software blanks / turns off the tubes after 60 seconds but I believe the HV generator and LEDs continue to run. Once this happens you can cycle power and it will run the test cycle for another 60 seconds.

More
1 year 3 months ago #9817 by Lexxar
Ok so i have to build the Anode and Cathode Circuit first in order to test. Its maybe misleading that the test procedure i citated above is in the chapter before.

More
1 year 3 months ago #9820 by Ty_Eeberfest
Good point. If you try to do the test at the point it appears in the manual (Page 21) the test will fail - nothing will happen - because the anode and cathode circuitry is not yet present. I'm not the maintainer of manual, Ian is, but he will see this.

Might as well tell you now: once you finish building the board the clock will only operate in test mode (cycling digits). To find out how to get out of test mode and into normal operation you need to look at the USER MANUAL page 1.

Moderators: AccutronTy_EeberfestIan
Time to create page: 0.187 seconds

Search

Tube Suppliers

Go to top
JSN Boot template designed by JoomlaShine.com