WiFi time provider with NTP support.

More
1 year 4 months ago #9751 by MikeS
Email sent.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Ian

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
1 year 4 months ago #9775 by Phil_Mod3
I really hope that the Mike's code will make it into the regular firmware. Accuracy is greatly improved and I prefer getting the time from an arbitrary NTP source (currently from my router which gets it from WAN in specific intervalls).

More
1 year 4 months ago - 1 year 4 months ago #9779 by Ian
Yes, it will. Mike has already given the OK that it be included, and it's now just a matter of releasing it.

NTP is great, but the only thing I have a slight issue with at the moment is that POSIX format time management is even more confusing than Olsen time. I'm still thinking about how to deal with this.

I'm hopig we can simplify this once more with a bit of configuration to come down to (the red bits are the things you would configure)

Normal Offset to UTC +5
Summer Offset to UTC + 6

Daylight Savings time starts on last Sunday of October
Daylight Savings time ends on last Sunday of March

For the Start and End, there would be drop downs with all the possibilities. POSIX would then be the "emergency" option for people who live way out in the boonies.

This is the full list, and there are not that many options:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Daylight_saving_time_by_country
Last edit: 1 year 4 months ago by Ian. Reason: Clarified
The following user(s) said Thank You: Phil_Mod3

More
1 year 4 months ago #9792 by Phil_Mod3
Sounds good to me, although that could still be too complicated for some people....maybe put a pre-configured preset for each country that uses DST? (I counted ~70 that use DST)

More
1 year 4 months ago #9793 by Ian
Yes, indeed that is what I am thinking. The most people come from a relatively small number of locations, so the idea is to have a list of the most common ones in a list.

I'm working at the moment on putting the WiFi Manager code onto the Firmware V2 repository and then merge in the NTP stuff.

More
1 year 3 months ago #10057 by Stackerlee

MikeS wrote: I found an issue with the library I'm using for NTP. It changes between standard time and summertime at the wrong point (closer to UTC than local time, so +/- hours different, depending on your timezone). I logged a bug, and the library author will hopefully fix it before the next change.

But, if you're running it, just expect the unexpected when the next summertime change happens.

This became aparent today. To my understanding it thinks it's the last sunday in March today which in reality happens next sunday. Don't know when these conditions will be met again (5th sunday in March) but I hope for a fix in ezTime library sometime.

Moderators: AccutronTy_EeberfestIan
Time to create page: 0.182 seconds

Search

Tube Suppliers

Go to top
JSN Boot template designed by JoomlaShine.com