No HV from All-In-One Board

More
1 year 4 months ago - 1 year 4 months ago #9503 by JeffN
I have an All-in-One kit, board is Rev2 30/07/2016. I have the HV circuit completed and the RGB leds installed, but when it test it isn't working properly. I don't have HV, the RGB leds all light up white, and I cannot reset the clock via the button. Here are the voltage readings I get:

Power supply (not connected) = 12.4v
P1 - VIN = 11.5v
P1 - COM/170v = 11.1v (I am using neons for the colons)
SV1 - VCC = 4.9v
SV1 - VIN = 12.4v
SV1 - 170v = 11.1v
VCC (at edge of board) = 4.9v
170v (at edge of board) = 11.1v

I've attached photos of both sides of the board with power off as well as the top of the board with power on.

I am a newbie at this, so anything anyone can suggest will be helpful. I did check my soldering for bridges and cleaned the board with alcohol to remove flux. From reading other posts I suspect the MOSFET. I don't have access to an oscilloscope so I can't check the waveform at the gate. Can I check this with my volt meter? Are there other components I should check?

Should I be concerned that the program won't reset when I apply power with the push-button depressed?

Should I be concerned that the leds don't go through the startup (blue, red, green)?

Anything else I can check? I started this awhile ago and life got in the way of finishing, but now I have the time and am anxious to see it working.

Thanks in advance for any help anyone can offer!

Attachments:
Last edit: 1 year 4 months ago by Ian. Reason: put images inline

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
1 year 4 months ago #9508 by Ian
Replied by Ian on topic No HV from All-In-One Board
Hi Jeff

Sorry to hear that it is not working for you. Do any of the components get hot?

It's not right that the factory reset isn't working. It should not normally be needed at this stage of the build, but in any case it is suspicious that no reaction is made to the button press.

Could you do a close up of the section of the board (top right) that deals with the voltage management (LV/HV circuit)?

More
1 year 4 months ago #9517 by JeffN
Replied by JeffN on topic No HV from All-In-One Board
Here are several close ups. No components are getting hot. However, while I was checking for components getting hot, I noticed that when I touched the ATMEGA or the Q2 crystal, the color of the RGB leds changed. I re-soldered some joints so now touching the ATMEGA makes very little difference, but still touching Q2 makes the LEDs dim and turn red. Otherwise they come on all bright white. Not sure if that info helps.

Thanks again,
Jeff
Attachments:

More
1 year 4 months ago #9519 by Ty_Eeberfest
What you said about touching the crystal gave me an idea. Check C5, C6, C7 and C8. Are the right value capacitors in the right places? If the crystal loading caps are the wrong values all sorts of weirdness will ensue.

Look into it later when the dust is clearing off the crater.

More
1 year 4 months ago #9520 by JeffN
Replied by JeffN on topic No HV from All-In-One Board
I just double checked and c5, c6, c7, and c8 are all correct.

-Jeff

More
1 year 4 months ago #9521 by Ty_Eeberfest

JeffN wrote: I just double checked and c5, c6, c7, and c8 are all correct.

-Jeff

Well it was worth a try.

I don’t have anything else specific in mind right now. But from the picture of part of the back of the board I can see that you need to do major cleanup all over. I’m referring to all the untrimmed or partially trimmed leads sticking out of the solder pads at various angles. That can cause all sorts of troubles. All leads should be cropped off flush - no “tails”. This may not solve your present problem but it will help avoid future problems!

This is important!!

Look into it later when the dust is clearing off the crater.

Moderators: AccutronTy_EeberfestIan
Time to create page: 0.188 seconds

Search

Tube Suppliers

Go to top
JSN Boot template designed by JoomlaShine.com