Rev 2 (30/07/2016) died. Help.

More
1 year 5 months ago #9434 by D33R
Rev 2 (30/07/2016) Nixie clock I built a couple of years ago just randomly died. Don’t remember enough about the circuitry to even know where to start testing so if anyone wants to help me diagnose this thing I’d appreciate the help. Get a little bit of RGB glow when I first plug it in but it fades out and nothing else.
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
1 year 5 months ago - 1 year 5 months ago #9436 by Ty_Eeberfest
Before anything else: try a different power supply. Or at least verify that your power supply is still producing the correct voltage under load.

If the power supply is okay the next most likely suspect is probably the 7805 regulator. Look for 5 volts between any 5v (Vcc) test point or connector pin and ground.

Let me know if either of these things fixes it. If not there are a few other things to look at but what I've told you are the most likely things.

Look into it later when the dust is clearing off the crater.
Last edit: 1 year 5 months ago by Ty_Eeberfest. Reason: Typos and formatting

More
1 year 5 months ago #9437 by Ian
Replied by Ian on topic Rev 2 (30/07/2016) died. Help.
In the first photo I can see that there is a faint green glow from the LEDs. Is that real, or a result of some reflected light?

In any case, the manuals should be here https://www.nixieclock.biz/Manuals.html in the archived section. I think it might be this one you are looking for:

https://www.nixieclock.biz/Downloads/NixieClockIN14InstructionManualRev2V42.pdf .

Anyhow, let's start with the power like Ty said.

More
1 year 5 months ago #9454 by D33R
Replied by D33R on topic Rev 2 (30/07/2016) died. Help.
The green glow is real, but only happens sometimes when it’s first plugged in and fades out shortly afterwards. I’m getting 7.8V on the bottom of the board where the power supply is soldered on, but no voltage at any of the VCC spots.

More
1 year 5 months ago #9458 by Ty_Eeberfest
Do you have another power supply you can just try? And voltage from 7.5v up to 12v is okay, as long as it can provide 500mA or more. The bit about the LEDs fading makes me really suspicious of your power supply in spite of the seemingly reasonable voltage reading you got.

Look into it later when the dust is clearing off the crater.

More
1 year 4 months ago #9493 by D33R
Replied by D33R on topic Rev 2 (30/07/2016) died. Help.
Sorry for the delay, I was out of town most of this week. Found a random 300mA 7.5 power supply and plugged it in just to try it and everything worked like it’s supposed to. Good call! Just ordered a new 7.5v/500mA adapter on Amazon so it should be good to go. Will update once it gets here (should be next Tuesday). Thanks guys!

Moderators: AccutronTy_EeberfestIan
Time to create page: 0.190 seconds

Search

Tube Suppliers

Go to top
JSN Boot template designed by JoomlaShine.com