Classic dimensions...

More
1 year 5 months ago - 1 year 4 months ago #9428 by MikeS
OK, it's holidays, so I don't expect a lot of people to be visiting and responding on limited interest sites like this. I got no response when asking about an IN-12 board (which only limits the interest even more).

So, let me ask a much more general question. I'm laying out my own board (when complete, I'll share). I want to make a "hat" for the Classic Rev6. Ian has published a "dimensions" document, but it really only details the outline and mounting holes. There's no detail on how the headers are positioned, and using Adobe pdf tools, it seems that the layout is a combo of metric and imperial measurements (e.g. headers are 0.1" spacing). I suspect it was laid out in metric, even though most (all?) components are imperial. (yea, I'm in the US, and we should have gone metric long ago, IT'S NOT MY FAULT! :) )

I'd really like to have exact positions for the various headers on the classic boards, so I can match them to make a "hat" for the tubes/front panel. Has anyone created a working Eagle board which fits on top of a "Classic?" Ian, if you're listening, could you post the Eagle files? If someone wants to steal from you, they already have all they need to produce their own version - the CAD files would only be a small help to them, but a large help to those who want to use your products.
Attachments:
Last edit: 1 year 4 months ago by MikeS. Reason: Update, new info.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
1 year 5 months ago #9429 by Ty_Eeberfest
Replied by Ty_Eeberfest on topic Classic dimensions...
If I had a Classic board here I would just measure it for you, but I don't. Ian is the only site admin who has boards in stock since he is the one making kits. We other admins are just helping out trying to share knowledge. Sometimes Ian participates here and other times not. I know he's a busy guy...

To my knowledge no tube carrier boards exist as "Ian Products" - any that might exist are going to be user designs. For these reasons I left your IN-12 post alone because all I could say is "I don't know" and was hoping somebody else might post a real answer that included a board design. That might still happen. Traffic tends to ebb and flow here and as you pointed out most people are busy with holiday stuff right now.

Look into it later when the dust is clearing off the crater.

More
1 year 4 months ago #9440 by Ian
Replied by Ian on topic Classic dimensions...
Hi all, yeah, I've been off for a few days, trying to turn off. Sorry about the absence: I promise I won't make a habit out of it. It's been a tough few months on the personal front, and I needed to switch off for a bit.

So, to the question: Yes, there is a need for some display boards, and I appreciate the work you are doing to work on them. I'm a bit reluctant to post the board design files, simply because I've been playing whack-a-mole with people taking the schematic and making their own versions and then putting them up for sale. I come from an open source background, and can't bring myself to close the code, but I'm aware that it will take just one unscrupulous fab plant in the far east to take the design files and we're all done here.

The instances of unauthorized copied so far have been people that simply misunderstood that open source isn't the same as public domain and thought they were doing nothing wrong.

I don't want to stifle people in what they want to create, so I'd do it this way: For people who have a genuine interest, I'll add you to the repository for the design files (they are in KiCAD format) and you can work on that. I might ask for a license agreement, just to lay out the basic rules of engagement and to know who I am dealing with. Would that work?

More
1 year 4 months ago - 1 year 4 months ago #9453 by MikeS
Replied by MikeS on topic Classic dimensions...
I'll have to check out KiCAD. Been using Eagle for year, for the infrequent projects I do. It looks like there are conversion utils for Eagle to KiCAN, but not the other way.

I'm really not looking for the full board, one stripped of everything but the outline, mounting holes and pin headers give would give me everything I want. My intent is to create a display board which can mount together just using the headers (like an Arduino "shield" or Raspberry Pi "hat"). I think a Samtec ESQ-104-44-L-S elevated socket (for example) would provide enough of a stand-off.

I think I've got it pretty close just by trying to measure off the dimensions pdf, but the actual header positions would obviously be better.
Last edit: 1 year 4 months ago by MikeS.

More
1 year 4 months ago #9474 by Ian
Replied by Ian on topic Classic dimensions...
I can measure them up for you, no worries. The offer is still there if you want to go that way later.

More
1 year 4 months ago - 1 year 3 months ago #9475 by MikeS
Replied by MikeS on topic Classic dimensions...
Thanks. I created an Eagle library for the Classic Rev6. When added to a layout, it provides the mounting holes and the pads needed for the pin headers. You can download it here . I just don't know how accurate it is.

Edit: the file has been updated (31Jan19) and is now accurate and correct.
Last edit: 1 year 3 months ago by MikeS. Reason: update file link

Moderators: AccutronTy_EeberfestIan
Time to create page: 0.171 seconds

Search

Tube Suppliers

Go to top
JSN Boot template designed by JoomlaShine.com