Classic arduino nixie clock kit with RTC loses time.

More
1 year 5 months ago #9404 by Stals
Hello.

I recently built a Rev.4 classic nixie clock and got everything working with IN-12 tubes. But from the day i powerded it on, it has lost about 4 minutes in about two days. Unplugging the power doesn't change the time (obviously, it's designed to keep the clock running)
When i cycle through the temporary displays, it says that the RTC is conected - (11) and temperature is at 25 C*.

The only modification i made to the RTC is that i unsoldered the charger circuit resistor (because my CR2032 where bulging out).

Oh and the clock firmware version is 52.

Has anyone else come across this kind of bug?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
1 year 5 months ago #9408 by Ty_Eeberfest
I have never heard of the RTC losing time like that. The charging circuit thing is a known issue and removing the resistor should have fixed it without affecting time keeping.

I am not aware of any issue with syncing the clock to the RTC in v52 firmware, but if it is feasible for you to update your firmware I highly recommend trying that before anything else. Latest firmware is v55. It is located at:
bitbucket.org/isparkes/nixiefirmwarev1/s...4f1ae346d0?at=master

If firmware doesn't fix it, the problem pretty much has to be with the RTC module itself. If you got your RTC from Ian you should try contacting him using the link at his nixieclock.biz store.

Look into it later when the dust is clearing off the crater.

More
1 year 5 months ago #9444 by Ian
There have been some reliability issues with the RTC modules over the years, it seems to come and go, I suppose as the factory goes through manufacturing challenges. Losing 2 minutes a day sounds a lot like the internal drift of the crystal oscillator. Contact me and we'll exchange it.

Moderators: AccutronTy_EeberfestIan
Time to create page: 0.139 seconds

Search

Tube Suppliers

Go to top
JSN Boot template designed by JoomlaShine.com