Nixies work fine, pins correct, wiring ok, weird symptoms

More
1 year 6 months ago #9487 by Ty_Eeberfest

Ian wrote: Would it be a good idea to make the colour match the value on the tube? Probably.

I think so. You could make it the same as what V2 does and then Jim and I will never get tripped up by it again ;)

Look into it later when the dust is clearing off the crater.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• iamtuck3r
  • Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • I find the most fascinating way to break things.
More
1 year 6 months ago #9494 by iamtuck3r
Thanks for the help so far. I have this weekend totally open, I'll continue to troubleshoot. I'm a derp and ordered that adapter but it didn't have a flashing mode built in...only a $3 mistake. I have ordered a new adapter that has a firmware flashing mode built in with a switch for sakes of just keeping things simple. I've already lost enough confidence in my wiring. Maybe my EaglePCB Nixie library wasn't correct when I wired everything up? I'm trying to find datasheets with the numbers but at this point I think it would be best if I just wire up each nixie one by one and log their pinouts.

The LED's coinciding with a digit would be an excellent inclusion into a new build, I'd do it but alas, my programming skills would probably break the internet and create a black hole so I'll leave it as a hopeful improvement for someone.

• iamtuck3r
  • Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • I find the most fascinating way to break things.
More
1 year 6 months ago #9495 by iamtuck3r
Gentlemen, it's figured out. I'm having very mixed emotions right now.

The PCB wiring is fine (sorta, get to that in a minute) as in all the digits are isolated to their cathodes, anodes are correct and there's no shorts. The pinouts from the PCB to the nixies themselves were fine, it was the pinouts from the 10-pin header to the nixies that WASN'T fine. Whatever way you decide to look at it, 1 wire bundle was my whole problem.

PCB Pins to Nixie Digits:
PCB_Pin1 = Nixie Digit 0
PCB_Pin2 = Nixie Digit 9
PCB_Pin 9 = Nixie Digit 2
PCB_Pin 10 = Nixie Digit 1

My cable I created was a straight patch, meaning Pin 1 on my PCB went to Pin 1 on SV5...

The Driver looks like this:
Drv_Pin1 = Nixie Digit 0 (Good, right?)
Drv_Pin2 = Nixie Digit 1 (Wrong)
... (All wrong)
Drv_Pin9 = Nixie Digit 8 (Wrong)
Drv_Pin10 = Nixie Digit 9 (Wrong)

I'm sure you're seeing the correlation here...This is where all my problems started. Thinking that I inverted the pins on the PCB, I just flipped the cable over when connecting it from the driver to the PCB so Pin1 was now connecting to Pin10 on the driver.

I took the cable I made, ripped up the whole bundle and followed them one by one. Pin1 stayed the same but the Pins 2-10 needed mirrored. I put the old ATMEGA back on the driver with the older FW that matched the Wifi and boom.

I about slammed my head on the counter. I can't thank you guys for helping me through this mess, it's definitely been a rather sour learning experience on my part. Now I can finally get to the more relaxing part of woodworking the case for this clock!
Attachments:

More
1 year 6 months ago #9497 by BS_Jim
That's where I thought the problem was located. I'm glad you found it.

Since you ordered the usb-8266 adapter, you'll want to try out the new firmware. The adapter without the built-in flashing function can be used by soldering a tact switch underneath the header for the 8266 and pressing the button while plugging it into the usb connector. Google has all sorts of pictures and how-to's on this. I'll take a picture of mine if you'd like.

Keep us updated on your progress.

Jim
The following user(s) said Thank You: iamtuck3r

More
1 year 6 months ago #9500 by Ty_Eeberfest
Trying to understand what happened... what's bothering me is this:

The schematic (considering translation table in the code) seems to say that SV5 goes
0, 1, 2, ..., 8, 9

The tube wiring diagram on page 32 seems to say SV5 goes
0, 9, 8, ..., 2, 1

Is this in fact an error in the manual? If so, which diagram is to be believed? Or am I missing something here?

Look into it later when the dust is clearing off the crater.

More
1 year 6 months ago #9501 by MikeS
It's an error in the manual. He made the mistake of following the tube wiring schematic in the manual. That error has existed for quite some time, since he has a Rev4, and the same error is in the Rev6 manual. I reported the problem a few days ago, here.

Moderators: AccutronTy_EeberfestIan
Time to create page: 0.178 seconds

Search

Tube Suppliers

Go to top
JSN Boot template designed by JoomlaShine.com