Nixies work fine, pins correct, wiring ok, weird symptoms

• iamtuck3r
  • Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • I find the most fascinating way to break things.
More
1 year 5 months ago - 1 year 5 months ago #9456 by iamtuck3r
I'm going to continue messing around with it more tonight and probably into the new year. The ESP8266 actually came in today so I was pleasantly surprised. No idea how to use it, but I'm sure google and some research will help me out.

I tried hooking up an RGB LED to the RGB pinouts and the VCC on SV2. Mixed results. It's almost like my LED's aren't combining the colors for some reason, either that or they're just cycling through red, green, and blue respectively. I'm uploading a video to youtube and will edit this in a bit with the link. As for that I'm at about the point where I'm just going to start from scratch again as I'm just boggled now.

10's digits are +1, LED's aren't combining colors respectively, reflashing the ATMEGA and Wifi module, tried replacing the K155 and ATMEGA, baaah what a way to start the new year! haha

Video here:
Last edit: 1 year 5 months ago by iamtuck3r. Reason: Including video link

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
1 year 5 months ago #9459 by Ty_Eeberfest
That LED color pattern is making me really wonder what exactly is running on the ATMega. When you flashed it are you absolutely sure you had this file:

ardunixFade9_6_digit.ino 112.1kB 2018-10-11

as gotten from
bitbucket.org/isparkes/nixiefirmwarev1/s...94d698a207?at=master

Look into it later when the dust is clearing off the crater.

More
1 year 5 months ago - 1 year 5 months ago #9473 by Ian
@ BS_Jim, the colour sequence you mention is the "colourtime" backlight settings, isn't it? During startup self test, it should just be "Red", "Green", "Blue" and separator LED.

The startup looks fine to me. I'm not sure if there is a mix up on exactly the expected digit to actual digit mapping, but you can find that out by taking it out of test mode (press the button when all "8"s are shown - or perhaps another number if there is a mix up with the digits). It should start counting time at 12:34:56 if no time provider is installed.

You can always go back to test mode by doing a factory reset.
Last edit: 1 year 5 months ago by Ian.

More
1 year 5 months ago #9478 by BS_Jim
@ Ian, that was just the color sequence that I observed on my clock after doing a factory reset with the latest v2 firmware. Now I'm not so sure that also carries over to v1 firmware. I was hoping for some input from you and Ty.

Jim

More
1 year 5 months ago #9480 by Ty_Eeberfest
Oops, sorry guys! I looked at Jim's color table, said to myself "yep, that's what my clock does", and didn't give it another thought. But my clock is a Modular, which runs V2 firmware. Looking now at V1 code I see that the RGB sequence in iamtuck3r's video is perfectly normal for that clock (as Ian just said).

Also, if I'm reading the V1 code right there is no absolute correlation between LED color and digits displayed during the test pattern. It looks like LED color is determined by millis() whereas the digits are controlled by counting. Thus LED color for any given digit value isn't guaranteed to be the same every time the test pattern is run. Or am I missing something? (IOW test pattern does not necessarily always start at Red)

Look into it later when the dust is clearing off the crater.

More
1 year 4 months ago #9483 by Ian
Spot on, Ty. The The sequence is set, but the starting point can change. It often does the same thing (because the code runs fairly deterministically) but there is no guarantee. Would it be a good idea to make the colour match the value on the tube? Probably.

Moderators: AccutronTy_EeberfestIan
Time to create page: 0.186 seconds

Search

Tube Suppliers

Go to top
JSN Boot template designed by JoomlaShine.com