All-In-One Clock - WiFi kit, No HV or RGB LED's

More
1 year 11 months ago #9419 by Ty_Eeberfest
CORRECTION: It's not a 6-pin header it's an 8-pin header. Don't trust my pin numbers either - use the Arduino itself as a reference for which pin should be 5V and which should be VIN. I was foolish enough to trust the official Uno schematic from arduino.cc which clearly shows that header as being 6 pins. Silly me. Looking at an actual physical Uno I see it is actually 8 pins.

Look into it later when the dust is clearing off the crater.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
1 year 11 months ago #9422 by oaksh
Thank goodness for that for a moment I thought I had the wrong Arduino LOL.
Well I did the tests another couple of times just to be sure and got the same results as the first tests.

is it possible to over heat a component while soldering the parts on the board??
Anyway I do really appreciate your help but don't worry I can just get another board and try again.
If that fails I'll just have to buy a clock.

Many thanks
Tony

More
1 year 11 months ago #9424 by Ty_Eeberfest
Yeah... apparently at one time that header was 6 pins - Uno Rev.0 or something. But the schematic I looked at said Rev.3 right on it, so WTF Arduino???

It's certainly possible to kill a component with excessive soldering heat but it's not easy either. If you look at the tutorial vids I'd say Ian's soldering technique (speed and iron size) is "great". Holding your iron on a part twice as long as Ian does would be "meh" technique - not good but probably won't hurt anything. Holding it on the part 4 times longer - say 5 seconds or more - is "horrid" technique and may well fry something. Using a bigger or hotter iron could cause problems too - if your iron is temperature controlled I recommend 700 - 750 Fahrenheit. Oh, and never use lead-free solder since it requires excessive heat to make it flow. (Forget everything "they" say about leaded solder - it's not hazardous to the person soldering, the real reason for RoHS is the somewhat legit concern about all the TVs and cell phones that end up in the landfill oozing lead into the ground water.)

Above applies mainly to silicon - diodes, transistors including mosfets, regulators, ICs and so on. Resistors, capacitors, coils and other passives are much more tolerant of heat and if you do manage to kill one it will be obvious: burnt, popped, or cracked in half.

I still can't figure out what went wrong with your board but if I think of something I'll post it here.

More
1 year 11 months ago #9425 by Ty_Eeberfest
Just to make sure we are on the same page here, can you tell me exactly which component on the Arduino smoked? Either a callout number printed on the board or a picture with a circle or arrow or something marked up on it? I have been assuming it was a regulator getting hot and then later burning up, but there are a couple of those on an Uno as well as one actual mosfet.

More
1 year 11 months ago #9426 by oaksh
Hi I have circled the component and it was leg #3 that had the burning, not sure if that makes a difference.
Many thanks
Attachments:

More
1 year 11 months ago #9430 by Ty_Eeberfest
Thanks for that info. I can't help thinking I'm overlooking something obvious here but I can't figure out what it could be. A couple more things to check, with the Arduino disconnected from the clock:

On the clock board check for continuity between +5 and ground pins on the header (or other convenient test points - shouldn't matter which +5 and ground points you use). There should be no continuity. If there IS continuity then you have to figure out where +5 is getting shorted to ground.

Once you get your Arduino fixed to where it works normally off of USB and "external" power sources, rig something up to try powering it from an adapter using the VIN and GND pins on the header. IOW try to power it just like the clock board would power it. If it works, and I'm fairly sure it will, that just proves there is nothing wrong on the Arduino side.

Moderators: AccutronTy_EeberfestIan
Time to create page: 0.115 seconds

Search

Tube Suppliers

Go to top
JSN Boot template designed by JoomlaShine.com