All-In-One Clock - WiFi kit, No HV or RGB LED's

More
1 year 6 months ago #9452 by oaksh
I've never used one before but this is what I done.
installed the ide software on the pc then downloaded the files isparkes-nixiefirmwarev1-534f1ae346d0.zip

I unziped it and used arduino software to load the (ardunixFade9_6_digit.ino) with sketch and included 2 libraies (time and DS3231) I never got any errors with the upload?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
1 year 6 months ago #9457 by Ty_Eeberfest
Sounds right. But since no lights are lit on the Arduino when powering from the clock, I don't think firmware even matters at this point. First we need to get low voltage power working. Once that's fixed, if there's still no HV or RGB LEDs we can look at firmware.

Look into it later when the dust is clearing off the crater.

More
1 year 6 months ago - 1 year 6 months ago #9460 by oaksh
Happy new year TY, I think I may have found a step toward a diagnoses.
The attached picture shows points of continuity between 5v pin and ground when the new Arduino is attached with out power..
The strange thing is while testing voltages again I hadn't fully seated the Arduino on the top row of pins.

When I powered it up i got the test cycle of the RGB lights for the first time and the arduino never got hot it done the test correctly.
I then tested the voltage with the Arduino attached correctly (fully seated) and powered it up, I got 5v volts on the meter between the 5v Pin and ground on the clock board and Arduino got hot.

I eased off the top left side of the Auduino again, and again nothing got hot and the led test cycle worked ok so I'm thinking the short is to do with the ground pin on the top row of pins marked in red.

With Auduino attached fully all red 5v and ground points in picture have continuity.
With the Arduino not fully seated along the top row of pins 5V to ground.has No continuity

Powered up and Aarduino not fully seated I'm getting,
VIN pin to ground reads 9v
5v pin to ground reads 5v
and VCC to ground reads 5v
I would really value your opinion on these results and if i could be on the right track?

Tony
Attachments:
Last edit: 1 year 6 months ago by oaksh.

More
1 year 6 months ago #9461 by Ty_Eeberfest
Happy New Year to you too! I hope it's gonna be a good one...

You are definitely on the right track now. If it works right when you "half-seat" the 10-pin connector on the top edge of the board then the problem pretty much has to be in that area. Since I don't have one of that type clock board here I can only see the traces on the front side of the board since there is no picture of the back side in the docs. There is nothing connected to those 2 pins (AREF and GND) on the front side of the clock board and I rather doubt there is anything connected to them on the back side either as it wouldn't seem to accomplish anything.

Dirty fix: cut off those 2 pins :S

Clean fix: keep at it until you figure out what's shorting. Is there a solder bridge between those 2 pins or between either of those 2 pins and their neighbors? Is there some sort of metallic crud hiding underneath the plastic spacer part of the pin header? With a little patience it is possible to remove the plastic spacer without unsoldering the pins - get a knife blade between spacer and board at one end, pry up a little, then pry the other end up, etc. until it's off.

If you want to post good close-up photos of both sides of the board in that area maybe I can suggest other things.

More
1 year 6 months ago - 1 year 6 months ago #9462 by Ian
Here's a detailed picture of that area of the board:

I don't see any reason why there should be a short there. I could understand it if there was a track going round there with a supply voltage on it, but that does not appear to be the case. The AREF pin is connected to the controller on the Arduino and should be high impedance, so I'm drawing a blank.
Attachments:
Last edit: 1 year 6 months ago by Ian. Reason: Picture was missing due to expired session

More
1 year 6 months ago - 1 year 6 months ago #9464 by Ty_Eeberfest
Well, under some conditions the ATMega will emit AVcc volts on AREF. See 23.5.2 in the ATMega data sheet - it is not crystal clear. However, it SEEMS like nothing will be emitted on AREF unless you flip some bits in ADMUX (23.9.1) and I do not see the code doing anything like that. Hmmm.

EDIT: Never mind... read further on to learn what really happened. Nothing to do with AREF at all.

Last edit: 1 year 6 months ago by Ty_Eeberfest.

Moderators: AccutronTy_EeberfestIan
Time to create page: 0.190 seconds

Search

Tube Suppliers

Go to top
JSN Boot template designed by JoomlaShine.com