All-In-One Clock - WiFi kit, No HV or RGB LED's

More
1 year 5 months ago #9433 by oaksh
I have tested all the grounds there is NO continuity between +5v and any of the grounds and I did make sure I tested all of them a couple of times. I'll have a go at repairing the smokey Arduino and I have ordered another Arduino just in case the first one is totalled.

Many thanks
Tony

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
1 year 5 months ago - 1 year 5 months ago #9435 by Ty_Eeberfest
You've now tested everything I can think of that's related to power. All your tests indicate nothing is wrong but the smoke says there is definitely something wrong. I admit defeat - for now.

I was starting to suspect that something on the Arduino was causing the problem but I can't come up with anything that would affect it when powering it through its VIn pin but not affect it when powering it from a power supply through its barrel connector. Hmm.

To summarize - please correct me if any of this is wrong:

With the Arduino detached from the clock:
- Arduino works fine powered from its barrel connector or USB cable (expected).
- Clock does nothing when powered from its barrel connector (expected).

With Arduino connected to clock:
- When powered from clock's barrel connector clock does nothing and Arduino regulator heats up (problem)
- BUT what happened when you tried powering it from the Arduino's barrel connector instead??

Anxious to hear what happens when you get the new parts!

- Ty

Look into it later when the dust is clearing off the crater.
Last edit: 1 year 5 months ago by Ty_Eeberfest. Reason: Minor typo

More
1 year 5 months ago #9438 by Ian
Sorry, I've been off for a few days, I'm just getting back into things right now.

I'll take a read through and see if there is anything that occurs to me.

More
1 year 5 months ago #9448 by oaksh
Ok my new Arduino arrived this morning and I have done the following tests today

Arduino stand alone power test
powered with USB OK
powered with 9v 300mA DC supply OK
powered with 12v 1000mA DC supply OK

Clock board stand alone power test
powered with 9v 300mA DC supply, All rgb Led's light up really bright almost white no led test cycle.
powered with 12v 1000mA DC supply, All rgb Led's light up really bright almost white no led test cycle.

Arduino connected to clock board power test.
powered with 9v 300mA DC supply using clock barrel connector, No lights on either the Arduino or the clock, Arudino volt regulator gets hot.

powered with 9v 300mA DC supply using Arduino barrel connector, No lights on either the Arduino or the clock, Arudino volt regulator gets hot

I never tested with 12v 1000mA DC supply as I know it will burn out the Volt regulator again on the Arduino.
I think my problem must be within the first 10 or 12 parts that I fitted because when I done the first power test as in part 2 of the build videos the lights on the Arduino never came on.
I never had a multi-meter to test the voltages and thought the code had to be installed on the Arduino to get the lights to come on.

Well we should all be thankful I'm not a heart surgeon :)
Many thanks again TY for all your time and expertise your a top man.

Tony
The following user(s) said Thank You: Ty_Eeberfest

More
1 year 5 months ago #9450 by Ty_Eeberfest
Thanks for all the organized info Tony! Since RGB LEDs are lighting up on your clock board with no Arduino hooked up it's clearer than ever that there's a "short" of some kind on the clock board. Something is dragging the Vcc +5 line down hard. If I could see it - really see and touch it, not just pix - I could find the problem but working remotely like this I'm just not getting it. (You wouldn't happen to be in the Los Angeles / Orange County area would you?) I'll think about it some more...

Just for the record, the Arduino does indeed need to be connected in order for Vcc +5 to be present on the clock. Clock board feeds VIN (straight off the power supply) up to the Arduino and the Arduino regulates it down to +5 and sends it to the clock board. Additionally, the Arduino must have the correct code installed and running in order for anything meaningful (High Voltage, RGB LEDs, timekeeping, etc.) to happen on the clock board.

Look into it later when the dust is clearing off the crater.

More
1 year 5 months ago #9451 by Ian
I know this might be a stupid question, but just to be sure: You did load the firmware onto the Arduino, right?

Moderators: AccutronTy_EeberfestIan
Time to create page: 0.181 seconds

Search

Tube Suppliers

Go to top
JSN Boot template designed by JoomlaShine.com