Decimal Indicator question

More
1 year 6 months ago #9282 by BS_Jim
I have a modular rev3 clock running the latest v355 firmware that runs with no problems. I would like to disable the decimal indicator on the ten-second tube. I know I can cut the trace on the tube board by the bridgeable solder pads but I would like to know where to look in the code to accomplish this.

The last thing I wrote any code for was >25 years ago and it was in Apple IIe BASIC.

Jim

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
1 year 6 months ago - 1 year 6 months ago #9292 by Ian
Replied by Ian on topic Decimal Indicator question
Oh, code is a much better idea than hacking the tracks around. And, it's also easier to undo if you decide that you miss the companionship of your faithful decimal point at some time in the future.

If you have an Arduino UNO and the Arduino IDE, it's a two minute job:

In this file:

bitbucket.org/isparkes/nixiefirmwarev2/s...Rev3/ModularRev3.ino

Comment out line 1102, changing
dpArray[4] = true;

to
//      dpArray[4] = true;

Note that you'll have to download the whole repository using this link:

bitbucket.org/isparkes/nixiefirmwarev2/downloads/

so that you get all the dependencies. I'm assuming that you don't want to get involved in Git or anything complicated.

See how you get on, in the meantime, I'll reflect on removing that indicator decimal point completely. It was helpful while I was coding it up, but it's not helpful for people using the clock day to day. The intention was to say "hey, look, I've just figured out that I have a motion sensor installed, and right now I'm showing the display". Any fool can see that the display is on because, well, the display is on.

The rest of the code around there is to figure out if a motion sensor was ever detected. If no motion sensor was ever found, the code reverts back to normal "time based blanking mode" (which is turned off if there is a motion sensor around). The DP was really to tell if we are in motion sensor blanking mode or time based blanking mode.
Last edit: 1 year 6 months ago by Ian. Reason: explained the motivation for the indicator
The following user(s) said Thank You: BS_Jim

More
1 year 6 months ago #9293 by BS_Jim
Replied by BS_Jim on topic Decimal Indicator question
Thanks Ian. I'll try that out after I've had my coffee.

Jim

More
1 year 6 months ago #9294 by Ian
If you get any problems, please jsut come right back.

I really need to write a "How To" for re-programming and re-flashing, but the day is only made of 24 hours, so it waits until tomorrow. If you come back and say "this £@@##!! programming thing makes no sense", there will be a reason to do it today instead of tomorrow ... ;)

More
1 year 6 months ago #9297 by BS_Jim
Replied by BS_Jim on topic Decimal Indicator question
Tomorrow is another day Ian. All went smoothly. The edit works just as I wanted. Now my "tubes are lit" indicator light is off.

Thanks again for your time,

Jim

More
1 year 6 months ago #9298 by Ian

BS_Jim wrote: Now my "tubes are lit" indicator light is off.

Now you put it like that, I really should do something about it, eh?

Moderators: AccutronTy_EeberfestIan
Time to create page: 0.167 seconds

Search

Tube Suppliers

Go to top
JSN Boot template designed by JoomlaShine.com