what did i break

More
1 year 7 months ago #8991 by prof5
what did i break was created by prof5
Hi, I have one of Ian's IN-14 All-In-One clock kits,
I built the kit and all was good, fitted the tubes last night and was working fine but I though IC1 7805 was getting very hot, so I was checking voltages between the at the input (“Vin”) and at the cathode side of D1 as the trouble shooting guide says, then disaster happened :( the meter probe slipped and I believe it shorted between vin and vcc and I was still touching the cathode side of d1.
I am still getting just under 5v at the test point, wifi still works and the leds are just showing white, I have only 8v at the 170v test point, so I have damaged something.
I have just got my temperature gun out and the 7805 was at 33 degrees but that was like that before.
any help would be very helpful.
Thanks Mark

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
1 year 7 months ago #8994 by Ty_Eeberfest
Replied by Ty_Eeberfest on topic what did i break
LEDs white & unchanging, no high voltage. Most likely that means the 328P microcontroller is not running. Do you have +5v at pin 7 of the 328P? How about on Pin 1. If yes then the 328P is probably dead. It sounds like you shot 12v (or whatever VIN is in your case) into the 5v VCC bus. The 328P definitely does not like that. Other parts are probably okay. Probably. One thing at a time here.

Look into it later when the dust is clearing off the crater.

More
1 year 7 months ago #8998 by prof5
Replied by prof5 on topic what did i break
Thanks for your reply,
yes I have 5v (well 4.87v) at both pins so it seems I have killed the 328p, looking on ebay for the chip I assume I need the bootloader version to flash it with the Arduino uno clone I have, then comes the next challenge as I have never used an Arduino so I will need to find a simple guide in how to program the chip,
although if it can be done with a GQ-4X programmer I do have one of those.
Mark

More
1 year 7 months ago #8999 by Ty_Eeberfest
The symptoms suggest the 328p isn't running, and your tests confirm it's getting reasonable power, therefore I believe it is dead. You could buy a 328p with bootloader installed on it, or you could try this:
www.electronicshub.org/burn-bootloader-on-atmega328/

I'd never heard of the GQ-4X beforel now. According to Google it will program the 328p if you have something called the AVRISP Connection Adapter. Perhaps you know what that means? I'm looking at
www.mcumall.com/comersus/store/mcumall_T...WillemsupportICs.asp
and searching within the page for Atmega328*.

If you buy one with bootloader preinstalled I don;t think you'll have to mess with the "fuse bits". If you burn the bootloader yourself the fuse bits will need to be configured and I'm not real sure how to do that when using an Arduino as your programmer (I have an Atmel AVRISP Mk.II that I use for this kind of thing, never tried it with an Arduino). In case you need it here are the fuse bit settings:
lfuse = 0xFF
hfuse = 0xDE
efuse = 0x05

As for the code, the clock code and clock-specific libraries are here:
bitbucket.org/isparkes/nixiefirmwarev1
assuming your clock has RGB LEDs, not NeoPixel LEDs. Read the page for more info about clock versions & code.
You will need the Arduino IDE from arduino.cc in order to compile and burn the program. You will also need to add a few general purpose libraries to the IDE. Look at the #includes at the beginning of the clock program to see which libs you need to get.

If you don't feel like messing with all this I'd suggest you contact Ian through the nixieclock.biz site. He can probably hook you up with a ready-to-run 328p for a decent price.

The following user(s) said Thank You: Symphy

More
1 year 7 months ago #9000 by Ty_Eeberfest
Forgot to mention: 33*C isn't unreasonably hot for the 7805. If it's too hot to touch (say, >45*C) then there might be a problem.

More
1 year 7 months ago #9001 by Ian
Replied by Ian on topic what did i break
It does sound a lot like the controller took a hit. This stuff happens.

Unless you have a wish to try and dig yourself out of the hole (always a good learning experience), the easiest way is I'll just send you a new controller. You have no idea the number of controllers I have zapped over the years, and as far as I am concerned, everyone gets a second shot. Just get in touch and I'll ship a new one out to you.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Ty_Eeberfest

Moderators: AccutronTy_EeberfestIan
Time to create page: 0.186 seconds

Search

Tube Suppliers

Go to top
JSN Boot template designed by JoomlaShine.com