Arduino code slots mode suggestion and question

More
1 year 7 months ago #8992 by judge
Which microwave motion sensor is this? RCWL 0516?

One concern I have with motion sensors is that I keep most of my clocks in areas where people are seated/don't move much, so I am concerned that the clocks would turn off even though I am there. Obviously one would have a timer associated with the motion detector, but if I'm watching a movie I could sit pretty still for a couple of hours.

I have one clock with a motion detector (the time flies clock) and it doesn't work too well for me.

Anyway, this is why I have avoided them so far, but I would be interested in knowing what other's experience is.

As for whether slots (or even ACP) is a useful, consider me a skeptic, but I do like animation. I'm sitting here looking at a divergence meter that has lots of animation, but it is all short enough to not actually interefere with one's ability to tell the time, and IMO enhances the experience a lot.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
1 year 7 months ago #8995 by Ty_Eeberfest

judge wrote: Which microwave motion sensor is this? RCWL 0516?

Yep, that's the one he sent me. It's very sensitive, but sitting still breathing isn't quite enough to keep it on. Sitting still breathing and smoking keeps it on, i.e. the movement of an arm from face to ashtray 3ish meters away from it seems to be enough to trigger it.

Look into it later when the dust is clearing off the crater.

More
1 year 7 months ago #9011 by Ian
The RCWL-0516 is sort of magic.

If it's in a very still space, I just wind up the timeout to 20 minutes. I challange anyone to sit that still for that long. It takes just one movement to reset the time, and the maximum timeout is an hour for the truly slothful. For example, I have one clock in the bedroom, and I like that the display blankswhen I try to sleep. Just raising your head to look at the clock turns the display on, whereas with a PIR sensor (on the new VFD clock design I have coming out soon) I have to wave at it to make it turn on.

More
1 year 6 months ago - 1 year 6 months ago #9333 by NicoNixie
Ah yes a motion sensor like that does indeed sound interesting! Is it possible to attach such a sensor to the "All-In-One Rev 3" board? And also, do you think it will be able to detect though wood? I haven't found a wooden casing for my clock just yet but it won't be thick wood, I'm thinking around 3mm thick or so.
Last edit: 1 year 6 months ago by NicoNixie.

More
1 year 6 months ago #9334 by Ian
Unfortunately, there are no GPIO ports available. To get PIR, it is necessary to go to the Modular Rev3 board. The limitation is the pins... The Modular Rev3 releases 2 pins by using NeoPixels, and uses them for a PIR input at a decimal point driver for the tubes.

More
1 year 6 months ago #9353 by NicoNixie
Ah darn.. Guess I'll just have to build yet another clock then ;)

Moderators: AccutronTy_EeberfestIan
Time to create page: 0.181 seconds

Search

Tube Suppliers

Go to top
JSN Boot template designed by JoomlaShine.com