Adding an alarm (buzzer) to the kit

More
2 years 1 month ago - 2 years 1 month ago #8698 by Ty_Eeberfest
Sounds good! I think we'd all like to hear how it turns out.

One thing to consider when hooking up to SDA and SCL: the ATMega and your Nano want to see 5 volt logic levels on these lines. The ESP wants to see 3.3 volt logic levels. This is dealt with using level shifters on the board that the ESP plugs into. All this means for you is that you want to be sure to tap into SDA and SCL on the main clock board (maybe at connector SV3) to get the 5 volt signals (as opposed to tapping into them on the WiFi module).

You also need to tie the Nano's GND to the clock board's GND. Actually it might be good to just power the Nano right from the clock board's +5 and GND. I don't know offhand exactly how much current a Nano draws but there should be enough available from the clock board. At worst you might need to put a heat sink on the 7805 regulator.

Look into it later when the dust is clearing off the crater.
Last edit: 2 years 1 month ago by Ty_Eeberfest. Reason: Typos

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
2 years 1 month ago #8699 by lays
You can connect it to the RTC connector, 5v, gnd, sda and scl are available

More
2 years 1 month ago #8700 by fotr3bor
I'm making progress by the way! The Nano still hasn't arrived unfortunately, but I'm slowly but surely building the main clock board.

Just one question: I just finished building the HV generator, and the voltage between 170V and GND starts from around 200+ volts and then drops to around 178 V, as expected. However, what's strange is that after a while the voltage measured on the same test point drops to around 6 V. Maybe because there's no load?

Thanks!

More
2 years 1 month ago #8701 by Ty_Eeberfest
What you are seeing is expected. Recently a timer was added in the code to shut down the "HV Test" mode after a while (60sec I think). This is a very recent change that probably hasn't made it into the docs yet. People were reporting hardware problems that were found to be caused by leaving clocks in HV Test for extended periods of time. HV Test is a quick "just get it going enough to test" mode of HV generator operation with minimal control. It was never intended to be used for regular operation.

If you power cycle the board I'd expect you to get another minute of high voltage. Don't overdo it though, or you'll have a very hot MOSFET on your hands.

More
2 years 1 month ago #8702 by Ty_Eeberfest

lays wrote: You can connect it to the RTC connector, 5v, gnd, sda and scl are available

Good idea, Lays. I agree this is the way it should be done.

More
2 years 1 month ago #8703 by fotr3bor
Thanks again @Ty_Eeberfest, you cleared my doubts!
Also, the idea about the RTC header is nice and simplifies things even more.

I can't wait to continue the build!

Moderators: AccutronTy_EeberfestIan
Time to create page: 0.196 seconds

Search

Tube Suppliers

Go to top
JSN Boot template designed by JoomlaShine.com