Nixie All In One- 2 tubes not lighting up

More
2 years 6 months ago #8663 by Ian
I buy the controllers in batches of 100, and have not seen this as a "thing" until recently. I'm going to make a test bed for the controllers after burning. Yet another thing to do... :-/

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
2 years 6 months ago #8664 by Ian
OK, controller in the post this evening. Thanks for the address...

More
2 years 6 months ago #8666 by Grundlenuts
Thanks for all the help guys. I will report back when the new micro arrives. Also, Ty, I saw in another thread that you live in the Orange County Area. I do also. If the new controller doesn’t fix the problem I might have to get with you and have you put an o-scope on it. If you’re available of course.
Thanks again

More
2 years 6 months ago #8667 by Ty_Eeberfest
I'll take a look at your kit if the new controller doesn't fix it. I'm usually pretty free in the evenings unless there's some sort of work related fiasco in progress. I'm in the South Coast Plaza area.

Form the admin panel I can see the email you used to register here. I'll send you a quick email so you have mine.

Look into it later when the dust is clearing off the crater.

More
2 years 6 months ago #8670 by Ty_Eeberfest
I'll just leave this here for the next time this subject comes up. This is a scope trace of the Pin 1 signal on the 1-Sec opto of a working Modular. Pin 1 of any other digit looks the same. It's reasonable to assume the waveform will be identical for other variants of the clock as well.

The clock was running at full brightness when I took the picture. When the display is dimmed the pulses become narrower but the frequency does not change. By "dimmed" I mean dimming the entire display, e.g. in a dark room with LDR enabled, NOT the transient dimming of individual digits that occurs during fade effect.

Scope is set to 2 volts / division and as you can see the signal peaks at a full 5 volts. My scope considers the "average DC voltage" to be 0.75V, which is basically VCC / 6 minus a little to account for interdigit blanking intervals. If you were to read Pin 1 with a meter instead of a scope you'd expect to see approximately the same (0.75VDC) if things are working right.

Look into it later when the dust is clearing off the crater.
Attachments:

More
2 years 4 weeks ago #9249 by peakinout
Ty , Ian Thanks for a beautiful clock
Hope you can ID me just purchased all in one & classic ,
Re the above thread , on assembly of all in one , whilst mounting tubes , hrs tube did not I light properly , moved tube to next location to check , tube fine .
Fully assembled , still problems with hrs tube partially lighting , check opto’s , driver ic , resistor 25 , anode tube 5 showed 170v , all others 55v.
On reading the above swapped micro from other clock , have made 4 or 5 with no problems . Fault disappeared .
Maybe I damaged the micro OR maybe a bad batch ?
Will email you for spare parts .

Moderators: AccutronTy_EeberfestIan
Time to create page: 0.112 seconds
Go to top
JSN Boot template designed by JoomlaShine.com