Rev5 clock and IN-18 tubes

More
3 years 2 days ago #7789 by konradp
Hi Guys,

Looking at the schematic of the Rev5, it appears that the HC 170V sources are optoisolated to the anode inputs of the tubes (attached)

Can someone please confirm my logic of connecting this PSU (capable of driving the In-18) link

connected to the pin 4's of the optos (instead of internal 170 supply) and connecting the ground to the common of the Rev5

thanks
Konrad
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
3 years 1 day ago #7790 by Ian
Replied by Ian on topic Rev5 clock and IN-18 tubes
Hi Konrad

I don't see any problem to use an external power supply by putting the 0v lines in common. As you say the opto-isolatiors can do this just as well.

However, I would suggest giving it a try with the on-board HV generator first, and possibly with a heatsink on the MOSFET. The IRF 840 is super robust but does not have a great Rds, so might get a bit hot if you drive it very hard. There are other lower resistance versions out there, but I tried to use jelly-bean components where possible to make it easier for people who just get the board and source the components themselves.

More
2 years 2 months ago #8379 by Ohm711
Replied by Ohm711 on topic Rev5 clock and IN-18 tubes
Hi,
I am building rev5 wifi clock with 6 IN-18 tubes. Yesterday I istalled 4 neon indicators and I noticed problem. On full brightness (LDR 999) when neons reach full brightness all 6 tubes dimms for little while.
Is this too much load for HV power supply? For neons I have 50k resistors, as reccomended in manual. Now I tried 100k and it is better, but dimming is still here.
What is your sugestion? Try even higher resistors for neons or change PWM or HV voltage?
I have good 9V 2A power supply, I tried reset and calibration - didn't solve my problem.
Thanks.

More
2 years 2 months ago #8408 by Ian
Replied by Ian on topic Rev5 clock and IN-18 tubes
You need to have higher value resistors for the neons: They are drawing too much, and they will have a short and unhappy life like this.

Also, the IN-18 tubes are relatively hungry on the HV generation. You will almost certainly need to heatsink the MOSFET, and insulate the TO220 to avoid shorting out.

Could you make a short video of the situation so I can see what is happening?

More
2 years 2 months ago #8419 by Ohm711
Replied by Ohm711 on topic Rev5 clock and IN-18 tubes
What is your sugestion for resistor values?
Here is short video, but dimming is barely visible. In person it is much more visible.

I think heatsink is not needed. On full brightness with 4 neons is temperatupe of mosfet about 40°C (ambient about 16°C). Hottest component is D1 which have little over 50°C.
I am very surprised with low temperatures, because I used clock for some time with Z573 and temperatures was higher.
My first plan was use 12V power supply, but mosfet was very hot (with Z573). I tried 9V and it was much better.
C1 is 10uF. Not sure if this matter.

More
2 years 2 months ago #8420 by Ty_Eeberfest
My rough calculation says you can go as high as 200K and the neons will still light, but maybe not as bright as you'd like. I see no harm in trying progressively higher resistors until you get a good result.

Look into it later when the dust is clearing off the crater.

Moderators: AccutronTy_EeberfestIan
Time to create page: 0.172 seconds

Search

Tube Suppliers

Go to top
JSN Boot template designed by JoomlaShine.com