Clock hangs after 25 days

More
2 years 1 week ago - 2 years 1 week ago #8672 by Ian
Replied by Ian on topic Clock hangs after 25 days
To answer the question about what the change is in v51 to have the RTC and the WiFi module on the same bus at the same time:

- The Clock now listens on address 0x69 (105) instead of 0x68 (104). This is because otherwise we cannot talk to the clock and the RTC independently.
- The major change is that we change the clock from I2C slave to master every 60 seconds. Normally the clock sits there as a slave, and listens for something from the WiFi module, but the clock uses the internal timer to decide when to go to the RTC
- After 5 minutes that the WiFi has not sent an update, we revert to the RTC module
- Every time that the clock gets an update from WiFi, it sets the RTC time
- There are also changes on the WiFi module: It needs to do a search on the I2C bus, and actively tries to find the clock which will return the config information. If it finds a clock that answers, it marks the I2C slave as being the one to use with a "(ping)" marker in the WiFi module interface
Last edit: 2 years 1 week ago by Ian. Reason: Bullet points did not work

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
2 years 1 week ago #8673 by Ian
That's so weird. Most weird of all is that the "slots" mode works. The internal processing is still working fine: all of the multiplexing, HV generation and so on, just the display seems to get loaded with crap in normal time mode.

Were both clocks restarted at the same time? I just want to be sure that the one that is working normally is working normally because it's time has not yet come, and not because there is some difference in the controller or something.

More
2 years 5 days ago #8678 by Stackerlee
Regarding v51
It all sounds very good and it's been working fine for me so far.
If I get it right - the RTC module takes over if ESP8266 fails for some reason?
And the RTC gets updated by the WiFi module regularly?

And the weird 48 days problem.
Yes, it's strange. The other working clock was restarted later, so it's time had not yet come.
I'll have a look after 48 day to see if the new firmware does the same...

More
1 year 11 months ago #8741 by Ian
I'm at the end of my ideas with that 48 day problem. I can't even reproduce it...

More
1 year 10 months ago #8752 by BS_Jim
Replied by BS_Jim on topic Clock hangs after 25 days
@ Ian,
Has this 48 day problem been reported by any others using rev.51 firmware? The reason I ask is I want to replace the firmware in a clock I gave my friend (rev.45) and I don't want to introduce any problems because he hasn't even read the instructions that I printed out neatly in a plastic folder. If it's uncertain, I'll just go with rev.49 which hasn't been a problem in anything I've put it in.

More
1 year 10 months ago #8779 by Ian
I thought so, but stackerlee says it's still there. I can't see any reason any more why it should happen... :-( but it happens.

Moderators: AccutronTy_EeberfestIan
Time to create page: 0.177 seconds

Search

Tube Suppliers

Go to top
JSN Boot template designed by JoomlaShine.com