Assembly problems - Arduino IN-14 Nixie Clock v44 "All-In-One" Clock

More
3 years 4 months ago #7457 by beahzander
Hi Ian,

I'm having problems putting your nixie clock together (Arduino IN-14 Nixie Clock v44 "All-In-One" Clock). Your instructions are great and everything went well through the install of the HV components. At that point I was getting 170-190V at the 170V test points. The power LED lit fine and everything else looked great. I just finished installing the RGB LEDs, the neon bulbs, resistors, and the rest of the components at your LED/neons step in your instructions and now upon powering up with my 9V 1A power adapter, I get the following behavior:

(1) power LED not lit, neons not lit
(2) RGB LEDs are stuck on red and do not change color
(3) @ the 170V test points I no longer have 170V, only 8V
(4) @ Vin = 9V
(5) @ Vcc = 5V
(6) Vcc @ clock connector = 1.2V

I've reviewed, examined, and refreshed my solder joints many times to no avail. Although, I am not a soldering expert, the joints to my eye look OK. I've attached some photos of the board. Please let me know if you see anything wrong. Thanks again, Beah
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
3 years 4 months ago #7458 by Ian
Hi Beah, I can't see anything obviously wrong with what you have done. All of the components to allow HV generation are there, and all seem correctly oriented.

You say that you "no longer" have 170V. Did you ever have it? For how long? Did any components get hot?

Did the power LED ever come on? I don't have the resolution in the photos to see which way round the power LED is. There should be a tiny flat on one side of the base, and this should be on the other side to the controller.

I have a suspicion, that if you read 5V at the VCC test point, and the LED does not come on, that the LED is in the wrong way.

More
3 years 4 months ago #7459 by Ian
Oh, BTW, the offer for you to send it back in for correction or replacement still holds. That's just part of the service.

More
3 years 4 months ago #7460 by beahzander
Before I added the RGB LEDs I had 170V at the test points, and the power LED came on. So I don't think the LED is in backwards. I did check the voltage across the LED and that was only about 1V, which seems odd. If nothing else occurs to you , I think I would like to take you up on your generous offer to repair the board. How should I do that? Thanks, Beah

More
3 years 4 months ago #7461 by Ian
I have sent you the address!

More
3 years 4 months ago #7464 by Ian
Hi Beah

I got the board and have found the fault. There is a break on the VCC line near the power connector. It looks like you had some trouble around there.

Here is a video

Do you want me to fix the board or replace it and the components?

Ian

Moderators: AccutronTy_EeberfestIan
Time to create page: 0.174 seconds

Search

Tube Suppliers

Go to top
JSN Boot template designed by JoomlaShine.com