Jeff Thomas GPSII Clock

More
1 year 1 month ago #7303 by Robert L.
Hi Greg,

So your NixiSat very likely needs just three wires... +5VDC, GND and GPS TXD... Checked my assumptions and it turns out the GPSII doesn't need the 1pps signal. Works fine with just a GPS NMEA stream. Your NixiSat may well be the same.

Given just three wires, how about bringing TXD and GND in on the existing BNC and finding a way to add a +5 wire somewhere else on the clock? Might be possible to inconspicuously fit a well insulated wire between the bottom of the wood and the base?

B

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
1 year 1 month ago #7304 by Robert L.
I'd bet NMEA is supported... At least a few Oncore models could be configured for NMEA output and the NixiSat description references NMEA in the command list. Certainly the same or very close code base as the GPSII:

8) Coordinate Scrolling: 0 = disabled, 1 = enabled. You location coordinates are scrolled in degrees, decimal minutes and decimal seconds, in accordance with the NMEA-0183 specification.

More
1 year 1 month ago #7305 by GregP
Hi Robert,

As far as I know, the NixiSat will support NMEA. I there are a few members of this board who have upgraded their NixiSat's with a GlobalSat GPS unit similar to what you used. Also, the GPSII, NixiSat and NixiChron are all the same designs just in different packages.

I like you're idea of using the BNC and grabbing the +5V from under the PCB somewhere. That would be clean.

I have the schematic for the NixiSat, I can send it to you if that would help? Let me know and I can send it to you.

More
1 year 1 month ago #7306 by Robert L.
Hi Greg,

An Oncore footprint adapter would be powered by the +5 provided at the NixiSat Oncore socket... no need for any other tap into the NixiSat pcb. Think two wires from the BNC (data and GND) and a third (GPS data) routed inside from under the clock... The three wires terminate in a 1/8" stereo plug plugged into the adapter board. Better still, include an OSX jack in parallel with two lines of the 1/8" jack on the Oncore adapter. This leaves the installed BNC-OSX pigtail intact.

I'd be very interested in the NixiSat schematic... bob home at pacbell dot net. Let's take this off-line for a bit?

B

More
1 year 1 week ago #7428 by wick1
Hi Robert,
I've got 2 of the GPSII clocks, some of Jeff's earliest, and I'd be very interested in obtaining more information (all the gory details) about how to go about replicating this wonderful fix. Thanks!

Best wishes
Bob

More
1 year 1 week ago #7429 by Robert L.
Hi Bob,

I'm at: bob home at pacbell dot net.

Let's take this off-line for a bit?

Regards,
Bob

More
1 year 1 week ago #7430 by wick1
Dear Bob
Good idea. Will try that email now.
Bob

Moderators: AccutronTy_EeberfestIan
Time to create page: 0.035 seconds

Search

Tube Suppliers

Go to top
JSN Boot template designed by JoomlaShine.com