Jeff Thomas GPSII Clock

More
2 years 1 week ago #7288 by Ian
Please reply to this post if you are interested in receiving more information about the clock. The article is here:

http://tubeclockdb.com/user-submitted/354-jeff-thomas-gpsii.html

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
2 years 1 week ago #7289 by Robert L.
Hi folks,

I've subscribed to the thread and will be glad to respond to any questions folks might have...

Many thanks for your interest!
Bob

Jeff Thomas GPSII Nixie Clock for sale

More
2 years 1 week ago #7291 by Ian
Hi Bob,

just saw a question about the GPS module on the main site. I know you are not notified of changes there, so copying here so you get a notification:

0 #1 Greg Peetros 2016-12-07 02:15
Would your upgrade work with the Motorola Oncore GPS?
The following user(s) said Thank You: mldenison

More
2 years 1 week ago #7293 by mldenison
Hi Bob,

I have the same clock. Would it be possible to purchase the upgraded board and puck from you?

Thanks,
Mort Denison

More
2 years 1 week ago #7295 by GregP
Hi Bob,

I was the guy who asked about the Oncore upgrade.

What I'm looking for is a plug and play board that would replace the Motorola Oncore GPS that Jeff used in the GPSII and NixiSat. The NixiSat used a BNC connector (which was directly mounted to the enclosure) with a wire pigtail to MCX plug to connect to the Encore.

I'd like to somehow retain the aesthetics of the NixiSat to be as original as possible by retaining the BNC connector. Looking at the pictures of your board, the wiring terminal used for the GPS puck would not fit the cavity of the NixiSat

I guess the only way to pull off what I want would be to find a GPS module that outputs a true 1PPS signal and somehow make it work. Way above my pay grade.

Let me know if you have any thoughts or need additional info on the NixiSat.

Thanks!

More
2 years 1 week ago - 2 years 6 days ago #7296 by Robert L.
Hi Greg,

There's probably a 4-wire connector that would fit the case cutout and look very similar. Jack shown below could work with less than perfect cosmetic match.

An Oncore form factor also possible for the receiver card... I'm thinking I'd use a 1/8" TRRS audio style connector on the adapter board if I do a spin. That would address clearance and there are widely available extension cords of various sorts.

Photos showing the proposed TRRS connctors for a new adapter pcb are attached. A possible jack added as well.

One concern - does the NixiSat speak NMEA sentences, or is your Oncore speaking the proprietary Motorola protocol? The Garmin does not speak Motorola. I selected jumpers for an Axiom receiver on my GPSII as the Axiom speaks NMEA.

If you can post a couple close-in detail photos of the Oncore and antenna connector on the NixiSat it would help me understand.

B
Attachments:
Last Edit: 2 years 6 days ago by Robert L.. Reason: Oncore compatibility details

Moderators: AccutronTy_EeberfestIan
Time to create page: 0.042 seconds

Search

Tube Suppliers

Go to top
JSN Boot template designed by JoomlaShine.com