Ok.. who has, or wants to build a watch?

More
3 years 2 months ago - 3 years 2 months ago #6811 by Pacman223
Ok.. call me crazy.. (my wife has).. but lately have been drawn to building my own watch.

here is what I see I need.

tools..
a case (lots available)
dial
hands
movement.

I'm thinking I would love a good eta 2824 or 2892. the 7750 movements seem to be a little more difficult and expensive!.

I haven't decided on the case or dial yet.. I have seen expensive diver watch cases that look really nice, but I'm thinking something simple to start out with.

has anyone ever made anything like a watch?

This new hobby might get in the way of nixie clocks!! My wife thinks i'm CRAZY... so do my co-workers who I shared my new idea. I'm not 100% sure I really want to... but after looking at movements and such, it doesn't look that hard!!! if I can make a nixie clock, why not a watch?
Last Edit: 3 years 2 months ago by Pacman223.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
2 years 11 months ago #7037 by Ty_Eeberfest
Okay, so I guess nobody wants to build a watch... I know I'm far more of an electronics guy than a mechanical guy and I suspect that's the case with a lot of people here.

However, on a related note I ran across a YouTube channel the other day of a guy who is doing a step by step video documentary of himself building a mechanical clock - completely from scratch - as in starting from bits and pieces of metal and machining all his own gears and other pieces and parts. Actually quite fascinating to watch and the videos are exceptionally well produced.

The channel is called "Clickspring". www.youtube.com/channel/UCworsKCR-Sx6R6-BnIjS2MA

Look into it later when the dust is clearing off the crater.

More
2 years 11 months ago #7038 by Pacman223
Nice,

I would love to build a mechanical clock also. A friend thinks i should build a kookoo clock

Moderators: AccutronTy_EeberfestIan
Time to create page: 0.029 seconds

Search

Tube Suppliers

Go to top
JSN Boot template designed by JoomlaShine.com