Sven clock vs mechanical clock in accurace

More
3 years 3 months ago - 3 years 3 months ago #6872 by Pacman223
just a small update.

I had the new clock running for about two weeks (new clock uses a temperature compensated crystal), calculated out how much slower it was running, and sped it up ( changing the clocks speed in its software). I have now recorded almost two full weeks after being calibrated, since the calibration, its kept absolutely perfect time. its really appears to be perfect as compared to the reference time that i'm using. I find that amazing.

so I thought that my Sven was really good, it seems to me, its likely going to be around +6 sec / year. but TXCO clock might go less then +2 sec/year. I'll keep recording its time difference and see.

Answer to the question, is the TXCO worth the extra cost.. I think so. I think very accurate clocks are more interesting then less accurate clocks... with that said.. I think Sven is plenty accurate enough for almost anyone and my ITS1 clock seems to be just as accurate, which makes sense, as its similar. I record the same thing for my QTC clock, but I suspect its very similar to the Sven clock. I really appreciate that you can speed up or slow down the clocks via a setting in its software.

I will attach a graph of the new clock when I remember to get it from work :) (Every morning when I start work, I record the time difference from the reference time on the internet).
Last Edit: 3 years 3 months ago by Pacman223.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
3 years 3 months ago #6957 by Ty_Eeberfest
Not too surprising to me that the TCXO clock is that accurate. In my experience TCXOs are extremely stable over long periods of time. I share your interest in "super" accuracy so of course I consider them to be worth the money when designing & building for myself. If I was making a product for sale I might not use TCXO since I'd be competing with products that have been engineered to meet a price point rather than engineered and then priced.

Look into it later when the dust is clearing off the crater.

More
3 years 2 months ago - 3 years 2 months ago #7008 by Pacman223
I'm really impressed with TXCO now.. So far I have been running the clock for 1 1/2 months, and it seems to be within 1/10 of a sec. I would guess at this rate its not going to be off more than .2 sec a year.

I honestly can't decide if its any different from the time I'm checking it against.

I had no idea I could make a clock this accurate. at this level of accuracy, I'm not sure that a GPS receiver would help, maybe after a year or so of running it might be a tad closer to perfect time.
Last Edit: 3 years 2 months ago by Pacman223.

More
3 years 3 weeks ago - 3 years 3 weeks ago #7044 by Pacman223
I haven't seen much posted, I thought I would give a small update on my TXCO clock.

At 100 days since its been running its now about .25 sec fast. Its really difficult for me to eye exactly how fast it is, but something close to that. that makes it about 3/4 sec - 1 sec fast per year.

I think that is REALLY good.

attached is a small

picture of it on my desk at work, next to a brand new Sven clock that I made as a Christmas present
Attachments:
Last Edit: 3 years 3 weeks ago by Pacman223.

More
2 years 11 months ago #7075 by Pacman223
Wow, not much happening around here lately.. I'll give another update.

its now been 127 days since I started recording my clocks time. its now about .9 sec fast... which surprised me.. .. so after some calculations.. I decided it is running about .0075 sec fast / day.

Soo.. I can adjust it by .01 sec/week. I slowed down my watch .05 sec / week or around .0071 sec/day .. that should be about right. if this works it will be about .13 sec fast per year!

All this leads me to wonder what happens as my txco ages.. does it get faster? slower? we will find out.

I re-synced my clock, and now will wait around 100 days to see how the adjustment went! :)

Moderators: AccutronTy_EeberfestIan
Time to create page: 0.041 seconds

Search

Tube Suppliers

Go to top
JSN Boot template designed by JoomlaShine.com