Virtual nixie clock for Cellular Basic Pro.

More
4 years 11 months ago - 4 years 11 months ago #5382 by numlock2001
My wife uses an Android 4.0 phone, while i use a Symbian 9.3 based one. I quickly found a free nixie clock widget for her phone, with virtual nixies looking very similar to IN-12 (these are my favorite tubes). With Symbian, things are more complex, as the only known nixie clock app for it, written in Python, can emulate only IN-2-like tubes which do not cause nostalgia in me. Fortunately, Synbian is also able to run J2ME apps, and, among them, Cellular Basic Pro: code.google.com/p/cellularbasicpro/downloads/list
I photographed a real IN-12 tube displaying different digits and designed a very small clock program for that interpreter:
Rem license: creativecommons.org/publicdomain/zero/1.0/
Katod=0
For i=0 to 9
Loadimage(i,"e:/bas/"+mid$(str(i),1,1)+".png")
Next i
Loadimage(10,"e:/bas/zastavka.png")
While 0=0
Delay 1000
For i=1 to 5
Znak$=mid$(time,i,1)
If i<>3 then
Katod=val(znak$)
Znakomesto=i
if i>2 then znakomesto=i-1 end if
Dlina=getimagewidth(katod)
Vysota=getimageheight(katod)
Drawsubimage(katod,0,0,dlina,vysota,znakomesto*dlina-dlina,0)
Dlinazastavki=getimagewidth(10)
Vysotazastavki=getimageheight(10)
Drawsubimage(10,0,0,dlinazastavki,vysotazastavki,0,vysota)
Updatescreen
End if
Next i
wend
You can downoad the program and image files here: mobile.infan.ru/files/wap/0/in-12-clock.zip
The license for images is the same as for program.
Here is how it looks like when running: ipic.su/5vsY.jpg
Now we both can take our virtual nixie clocks anywhere we go. :)
The logo under virtual nixies means "Triode yound technician station". It is hand-drawn, then photographed, inverted and converted to sepia to look like hand-engraved wooden front panel. That is a bit of Soviet-era nostalgia, similar to DDR Ostalgie in modern Germany. The so called young technician stations were popular among Soviet youth. At such stations one could study photography, Morse code, build model airplanes, boats, railways and rockets, RC cars, etc., and, of course, electronic projects of various complexity, ranging from crystal radios to ham equipment and 8080 based computers. Some young technician stations still exist in modern Russia. Also, a special magazine was (and still is) published, called "Young technician".
One of the most popular electronic projects built at such stations in 1970s was a nixie clock. In 1980s, however, their popularity rapidly declined due to introduction of single-chip solutions designed to drive VFDs. Several cheap kits were manufactured, and the most popular of them was Start 7176. Using this kit, it is possible to build a clock based on K145IK1901 specialized mask ROM MOS MCU with integrated VFD driver and flat multiplexed IVL1-7/5 VFD. Such a kit can be built within less than an hour, with appropriate ESD protection measures taken, of course. I've found images of a completed Start 7176 kit:
ic.pics.livejournal.com/jury093/14891470...0/32900_original.jpg
ic.pics.livejournal.com/jury093/14891470...0/33050_original.jpg
Last Edit: 4 years 11 months ago by numlock2001.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Moderators: AccutronTy_EeberfestIan
Time to create page: 0.026 seconds

Search

Tube Suppliers

Go to top
JSN Boot template designed by JoomlaShine.com