Color Organ (Music Visualizer 70s Style)

More
5 years 2 days ago - 5 years 2 days ago #4628 by Ty_Eeberfest
This isn't exactly Nixies, but the concept comes from the same time period. This is a Color Organ I built several years ago from some pencil drawn schematics by a guy named Dan Fraser. Fraser designed lighting systems for many of the bigger discos in Canada back in the day. My circuit is a scaled down version of the system that once flashed the lights in Scandals Disco in Edmonton, Alberta.

Schematic (re-drawn): eeberfest.net/vid/organ.pdf
PC Board Layout: there isn't one - I built it rat-nest style on perfboard.

Enjoy...

Look into it later when the dust is clearing off the crater.
Last Edit: 5 years 2 days ago by Ty_Eeberfest. Reason: Added Schematic Link

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
5 years 2 days ago #4629 by Jeff
Way Cool! Nice choice on Hey Pachuco for the track.

I could almost feel the polyester slacks, puffy shirt, and mullet reappearing when I saw it.
Beats the heck out of christmas lights behind a diffuser panel.

I'm guessing it's a four leg pass filter feeding an LM324, with a small hysteresis loop, some rectification, and then four triac's.

Fun!

Regards, Jeff

More
5 years 2 days ago - 5 years 2 days ago #4630 by Ty_Eeberfest
Jeff, you pretty much nailed it on the circuit description. Op-amp part numbers weren't specified on the original sketch so I used what I had: 1458s and 3900s. Between the hysteresis (Schmitt triggers) and the triacs are a zero-cross synch-er cobbled out of flip-flops, and optos to keep potential nastiness from the triacs out of the logic.

Oh, and I fiddled the center frequencies of the band pass filters to suit my personal tastes.

I added a link to the (re-drawn) schematic to my original post.

Off I go now to look for my puffy polyester shirt and Angels Flight pants... and my silver coke-spoon-on-a-chain.

- Ty

Last Edit: 5 years 2 days ago by Ty_Eeberfest.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jeff

More
5 years 6 hours ago #4631 by Jeff
Thanks for posting the schematic. That's a very robust design, and the AGC front end is a great feature.

I wish I had the spare time to build it.
I've lost track of the kits I purchased in recent years that are still sealed and waiting for a rainy day :)

Regards, Jeff

More
4 years 11 months ago #4632 by Ty_Eeberfest
Ah, yes... the AGC. Lack of AGC is the top reason my earlier color organs got used a few times and then never turned on again. Jumping up to adjust the color organ every song or two is just such a mood-killer, ya know. The AGC keeps the signal at a good level with almost any program material and as you can see it doesn't kill the dynamic range in the process.

Going way off topic here... I just re-visited your web site. If I haven't told you before I will now: your Cathedral Chimes are great; I think "sexy" is the best adjective. I'm envious!

More
4 years 11 months ago #4689 by Ty_Eeberfest

The following user(s) said Thank You: stocknic

Moderators: AccutronTy_EeberfestIan
Time to create page: 0.076 seconds

Search

Tube Suppliers

Go to top
JSN Boot template designed by JoomlaShine.com