Nixie tube based weight scales.

• numlock2000
  • numlock2000's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Creationism, Linux, Opera, Jabber, vintage tech.
More
7 years 3 weeks ago - 7 years 3 weeks ago #2700 by numlock2000
Hi all!
I am interested in finding information about nixie based weight scales produced all over the world.
I know about two models: the soviet 1261VN-3CT (uses IN-12 tubes, was once very popular, but probably none survived) and one German Bizerba unit (model unknown) that i once saw at YouTube.
But i am sure that there was much more nixie (and maybe also panaplex or numitron) based weight scales, produced by much more manufacturers! I found that it is surprisingly hard to find information about nixie scales using search engines (unlike information on other nixie gear such as voltmeters). Only related patents are found, and nothing else. Does anyone know about model numbers of nixie scales and survived devices themselves?
Last Edit: 7 years 3 weeks ago by numlock2000.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
5 years 7 months ago #5161 by Nisei
Hi
Yes, there should be more than the ones you've found.
One of my earliest childhood memories is that I had my mum lift me up everytime we were at the butcher's so I could get a good look at the nixie tubes of the scale. This must have been 1971/72. As I recall it was a massive thing made of stainless steel. I'm not surprised most of these have disappeared since they're quite bulky and heavy so it's probably pretty difficult to find one nowadays.

More
5 years 7 months ago - 5 years 6 months ago #5371 by numlock2001
Thanks for your memories! I could not restore my old account, so i had to register a new one.
Here is some information about nixie based scales i have found since then. Like a small database. Who knows other models and wants to extend it? Thanks in advance.

Type designation: "PO Veda Kiev" 1261VN-3CT.
Country of origin: Soviet Union.
Information processing: TTL ICs.
Display: IN-12 nixies.
Measurement method: Vibrating string.
Production period: probably since 1976.
Photo and/or video URL(s):
leningrad.su/museum/show_calc.php?n=481
storage0.static.itmages.ru/i/10/0830/h_1...59071_8ceb988c8a.jpg
Notes: 1. Can be connected to a specialized external sticker printer. Such a combination is named 1799VTCh-3 "Dina". This printer is not found yet, even though it was very common in the 1970s and 1980s; 2. There exists a rumor (not confirmed yet) about an extremely rare version of this scale equipped with IV-22 VFDs instead of nixies; 3. Early units are controlled using reed-switch based (!) lever selectors, later units are controlled using keyboards, also reed-switch based. Other changes found in later versions include redesigned enclosure, screen printed display face instead of engraved one, number of ICs reduced by circuit optimization, usage of plastic cased 155 series ICs instead of 133 series metal/ceramic cased ICs.

Type designation: "PO Veda Kiev" 9026VN-3D13
Country of origin: Soviet Union
Information processing: Specialized single-chip MCU with internal mask ROM, designed exclusively for this scale.
Display: Flat multi-digit VFDs, therefore slightly off-topic here.
Measurement method: vibrating string.
Production period: 1980s.
www.eco-time.com.ua/image/art1_im1.jpg
sfrolov.livejournal.com/137485.html
Notes: 1. Jargon nickname for this scale is "Goose". 2. Can be interfaced to a specialized external dot matrix sticker printer called RU-3 (very similar to PU-2M externally, but fully different internally), which is based on 16-bit LSI-11 compatible CPU.

Type designation: "Bizerba" OP-E and OPe MOS.
Country of origin: Austria.
Information processing: Unknown, probably TTL or MOS ICs, depending on type designation.
Display: Combined nixies plus optical readout.
Measurement method: Unknown.
Production period: One unit is known, produced in 1977 (without MOS abbreviation in type designation), and two others with unknown production years.
m.kleinanzeigen.ebay.de/s-anzeige/bizerb...typ-ope-mos/97518216
m.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/3804980977/

wap.ebay.com/Pages/ViewItem.aspx?nborh=h...-RV840-/221143547993
Notes: 1. Models with optical readouts only and no electronics at all were also produced in the 1970s or maybe earlier: OP-3 and OP-10. 2. Probably, the difference between OP-E and OPe MOS models is usage of TTL or MOS ICs, respectively?

Type designation: "Berkel" 176SG.
Country of origin: Netherlands.
Information processing: 4-bit CPU with external ROM.
Display: Panaplex.
Measurement method: Vibrating string.
Production period: One unit is known, produced in 1980.
Photo and/or video URL(s): www.glowbug.nl/neon/Berkel176SG.html
Notes: None.

Type designation: "Italiana Macchi" tipo Mach 55.
Country of origin: Italy.
Information processing: Unknown.
Display: Nixies.
Measurement method: Unknown.
Production period: One unit is known, produced in 1970.
Photo and/or video URL(s): www.tubeclockdb.com/forum/Buy-Sell-Trade...tubes-est-1970-.html
Notes: By the way, this company still manufactures fully mechanical analog scales.

Type designation: Cahn 7550
Country of origin: Unknown
Information processing: Unknown
Display: Unknown
Measurement method: Unknown
Production period: Unknown
Photo and/or video URL(s): wap.ebay.de/Pages/ViewItem.aspx?emvAD=10...412&autoredirect=off
Notes: URL no longer works.

There is also an urban legend about a Soviet fully optical scale from late 1960s and early 1970s, called VO-3K1, and that its enclosure design was reused later in 1261VN-3CT.
Last Edit: 5 years 6 months ago by numlock2001.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Krokunov

More
4 years 9 months ago - 4 years 9 months ago #5977 by numlock2001
Can anyone tell me which model of weighing device is depicted here? www.theimaginaryworld.com/foodomat08.jpg
It contains a scale and a printer, but the scale is a bit strange. Instead of three-line display, first line of which displays weight, second line displays price per unit of weitht, and third line displays multiplication result, this unit has only one line, probably displaying only weight.
At first it looks like having nixies in it, but i was told in another forum that nixie displays in most cases have larger separation between digits. Well, it may be a pandicon, where digits are relatively close to each other. But what to do with the fact that all digits are in the same plane? This may be a mechanical counter instead of nixies, or it can be a projection type one-plane readout.
Is anyone here familiar with this device and can tell more about it? Model number, prodiction years, etc.
Last Edit: 4 years 9 months ago by numlock2001.

More
4 years 2 months ago - 4 years 2 months ago #6215 by numlock2001
I am collecting information about optical shop scales. These pre-nixie devices display weight and price using miniature projectors. The slide in it can be moved in two directions, one of which represents weight, while the other represents manually selectable multiplier (using levers). Yes, such a simple method of multiplication. Which model do i know for now?

1. VO-3K1, produced by OZ NIKIMP in Moscow, then USSR. No photos or surviving devices yet, only this text: www.all-pribors.ru/si/vesy-nastolnye-odn...toimosti-vo-3k1-3425
2. Bizerba OP-10 and OP-N, made in Austria.
www.delcampe.net/page/item/id,71045248,v...P-10,language,E.html
www.shpock.com/i/VCm83h2nw_AGi0X0/
Production of both devices started in late sixties and stopped in the middle of seventies.
For further information about how they work you can type "optical weighing scale" into Google Patents. There also exist related Soviet patents which can be found by typing "site:findpatent.ru весы проекционные" into Google.
Does anyone have memories about these? Does anyone know other models? Thanks in advance.
Last Edit: 4 years 2 months ago by numlock2001.

More
3 years 11 months ago #6305 by numlock2001
Another! One! Found! localroger.com/nixie/nixie.html

Moderators: AccutronTy_EeberfestIan
Time to create page: 0.049 seconds

Search

Tube Suppliers

Go to top
JSN Boot template designed by JoomlaShine.com