naked nixie - modern take on nixie clocks

More
8 months 2 weeks ago #7668 by Ian
I also have something like this, but I like your orange idea better than mine. also the firmware upload is a great idea. Do you mind if I steal those ideas? ;)

My code is already out there, and as you know I am happy for people to use it, as long as they don't just plain copy and compete...

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
8 months 2 weeks ago #7669 by vladco

Ian wrote: I also have something like this, but I like your orange idea better than mine. also the firmware upload is a great idea. Do you mind if I steal those ideas? ;)

My code is already out there, and as you know I am happy for people to use it, as long as they don't just plain copy and compete...


sure you can but the firmware update is not complete yet, just some work on the webui. I will finish it someday but first i need to find out how to use the Updater class for ESP8266

Code is hosted here this branch has the orange theme, which is provided by bootswatch (theme name unity), the master branch has the dashboard blueish template that comes from bootstrap dashboard example

to make the development process easier i created a simple web server using nodejs which facilitates development of web interface from a PC if you want to try it on the PC without fussing around with the ESP
steps
1. install nodejs (make sure to install also npm)
2. clone the repository, mentioned above
3. open a command line/terminal inside the newly cloned repo, type npm install. This will do two things install the necessary packages for gulp to work and install the required packages for the web server
4. start the webserver via node server.js (also run in the newly created repo), open browser and type in localhost:8080

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
8 months 2 weeks ago #7677 by Ian
Great, thanks for that.

That Node.js tip is really neat, BTW... :)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
8 months 2 weeks ago - 8 months 2 weeks ago #7678 by vladco

Ian wrote: Great, thanks for that.

That Node.js tip is really neat, BTW... :)


:P yeah for web development its much easier, since doing it on the ESP requires quite a lot of time for compiling/burning the hex files.

Also gulp is very nice the size of all the source files for the webui is around 700KB well 640KB because images and font files take ~60KB (javascript, css, html source), after running gulp which not only gzips the content but also runs some "minifying" on the css/javascript files you'll get like 76KB of data, quite amazing B)
Last Edit: 8 months 2 weeks ago by vladco. Reason: grammar

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
8 months 2 weeks ago #7680 by judge
I will definitely have to include gulp into my tool chain. BTW I am using the Sloeber plugin for Eclipse. What a joy it is to have a professional-grade development environment for 'Arduino' related code. Library management, code navigation, outline views, just great! I added commands to build/upload spiffs too, so it is all in one place.

Yes the one horse board is not cheap, but the design is open source and it includes support for battery power, which is something I want to explore.

Having headers is something essential for me at the prototyping stage. After that Inwill be looking more at the PSF-B85

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
8 months 2 weeks ago #7681 by judge
If by 'Updater' you mean 'OTA' you can look at my NCS314 repo ( github.com/judge2005/NCS314WiFi ) for examples. One issue I never solved is the need to power cycle it after an upload. Also be aware that you need twice the amount of 'RAM' that your code takes up. It works by uploading the new code to the unused area and then switching to it. I also got OTA spiff loading going - this is just part of the regular tool chain.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
8 months 2 weeks ago #7682 by vladco

judge wrote: BTW I am using the Sloeber plugin for Eclipse. What a joy it is to have a professional-grade development environment for 'Arduino' related code. Library management, code navigation, outline views, just great! I added commands to build/upload spiffs too, so it is all in one place.


I haven't heard of Sloeber but i see is based on Eclipse and i have used IDEs based on Eclipse before..i was not impressed :laugh:. I heard a lot of people are starting to use Platformio i might give them both a try

judge wrote: Yes the one horse board is not cheap, but the design is open source and it includes support for battery power, which is something I want to explore.

Having headers is something essential for me at the prototyping stage. After that Inwill be looking more at the PSF-B85


of course that is why i like the wemos d1 mini pro, also design is opensource - it doesn't have battery charging IC but i still cool cause it has a tone of storage

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
8 months 2 weeks ago - 8 months 2 weeks ago #7683 by vladco

judge wrote: If by 'Updater' you mean 'OTA' you can look at my NCS314 repo ( github.com/judge2005/NCS314WiFi ) for examples. One issue I never solved is the need to power cycle it after an upload. Also be aware that you need twice the amount of 'RAM' that your code takes up. It works by uploading the new code to the unused area and then switching to it. I also got OTA spiff loading going - this is just part of the regular tool chain.


actually i am referring to this esp8266.github.io/Arduino/versions/2.3.0...e.html#updater-class which is currently not documented all the other OTA implementations are relying on this updater class

The reason i want to do that is because i want to integrate the upload form better with my current design​ and also the OTA examples are using the default library for webserver and not sure how easily i ca change it to async we library.

Also i think you mean twice the amount of FLASH not RAM :P
Last Edit: 8 months 2 weeks ago by vladco.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
7 months 3 weeks ago - 7 months 3 weeks ago #7785 by vladco

vladco wrote: 3. they idea was it should do that, and i was going to use the OE (output enable) of the '595 shit register for that purpose - unfortunately i didn't pay close attention to the datasheets where its stated that when the OE is HIGH the outputs are HiZ and i am not entirely sure what the darlington array is doing when its not driven.


finally had some time to look into making the dimming feature :D. After studding a bit more the darlingon array, looks like if is not actively driven the output transistor is off so my plan is going to work.

The idea was to have 10 brightness levels so using the method described here and here i generated a lookup table to make the brightness look linear.

PWM frequency on the ESP is 1KHz (default), but as soon as I changed the duty cycle the high voltage module i'm using starting making a high pitched sound, still working but the sound was really annoying lowering the frequency to 60Hz made the sound almost go away. Can't really explain it maybe it has something to do with the frequency of the DC/DC converter and the inductor used.

Also the PWM implantation on the ESP is done with timer 1 which looked like the perfect candidate for a software clock so i guess that im going back to the os timers! oh well i guess it depends what i really want, precise clock or dimmable clock :dry:

anyway here are two videos of the linear brightness in action

Last Edit: 7 months 3 weeks ago by vladco. Reason: fixed youtube links

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
7 months 3 weeks ago #7787 by Ty_Eeberfest
Videos won't play, they just say "This video is private" when clicked. Clicking thru to YouTube itself results in a similar denial.

Look into it later when the dust is clearing off the crater.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Moderators: AccutronTy_EeberfestIan
Time to create page: 0.065 seconds

Search

Tube Suppliers

Go to top
JSN Boot template designed by JoomlaShine.com