nwts 2.1 beta - time zone and DST support - tester discussion

More
1 year 6 months ago - 1 year 6 months ago #7556 by mazevedo
Hello!

nwts' latest firmware is up around the corner! I could not release the beta version ahead the DST change in the US, but it's now possible before the European DST change.

A few lines:
  • You need a ESP-01 programmer to flash the firmware. It's not possible with Over The Air (OTA) or other methods. Only with a programmer (USB or TTL based). More details on easy programmers in the firmware update manual
  • Flashing will erase your configuration! You need to enter nwts' license again and configure nwts to reconnect to your Wi-Fi network
  • You can contact me on bugs, but I prefer that you post in this discussion too, so others wont report the same bug over and over
  • If you're using a Mr Nixie's (Jürgen Grau) nwts, take notice that the default baud-rate is changed from 4800bps to 9600bps! If you're using a ASK receiver and/or your clocks are configured for 4800bps, don't forget to change this in nwts' webpage

Note: nwts beta has debug mode enabled! I've noticed with some clocks that the debug messages might cause the input buffers of some clocks to go haywire and the clock might change to an invalid date and not recover, until you remove the backup battery! Debug is only intended to be used when connected to the computer. If nwts is connected to a clock, please disable it.

Changelog v2.1-20170324
  • Added time zone and DST support.
  • Custom latitude and longitude. Selected browsers can auto-fill
  • Select which NMEA messages to send and send only when clock RTC is in sync
  • Select date format in Webpage
  • Adjust delay or advance of time with drift correction
  • Various corrections and improvements

Firmware
Documentation
You can buy nwts here:

https://www.tindie.com/stores/Mazevedo/
http://www.ebay.ie/itm/172500878154
Last Edit: 1 year 6 months ago by mazevedo.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
1 year 6 months ago #7557 by mazevedo
Another note:
On PV Electronics and Mr Nixie's clocks, if the GPS time is set (green LED is on), the clock will only check the correct time every 10 min.
So during DST change, there's a chance that your clock might take up to 10 min to update to the new time.

More
1 year 6 months ago #7558 by Ian
Hi Manel

it might just be me, but I can't seem to get to the 2.1 firmware, it just takes me back to the 1.7. Could you check it, please?

More
1 year 6 months ago #7559 by mazevedo
Hi Ian,

Should have tested all the links. It's corrected now.
You can also find the details in the document. Please read it, as it contains important details.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Ian

More
1 year 6 months ago #7560 by Ian
Great! Works!

Thanks!

More
1 year 5 months ago #7670 by vladco
@mazevedo i saw the hardware is opensource (or at least i found it on your site) but is the firmware also opensource ?

Vlad

More
1 year 5 months ago - 1 year 5 months ago #7671 by mazevedo
Hi Vladco, unfortunately no. nwts code is not open source.
Last Edit: 1 year 5 months ago by mazevedo.

More
1 year 5 months ago #7672 by vladco
given that you are providing both the schematic for the hardware and the firmware, how do you ensure that some random company doesn't steal your work? or it has something to do with Licence status we see on the screenshot ?

More
1 year 5 months ago #7673 by mazevedo
Yes, the device requires a license to give valid data. This license only works in the device it was created to.

More
1 year 5 months ago #7674 by vladco
neat, but this means you need to run one server to provide the licence information, right ? what happens when you decide that you don't want to run the service anymore ?

I am only asking because I'm curios about the way the service is supposed to work, the number of companies that run a similar service and they decide to stop offering it is increasing and you'll just be left with your hardware but without a way to use it.

Moderators: AccutronTy_EeberfestIan
Time to create page: 0.045 seconds

Search

Tube Suppliers

Go to top
JSN Boot template designed by JoomlaShine.com