IN-18 direct drive question

More
8 months 1 week ago #7694 by mazevedo
So this mystery is now solved!

After healing the tube externally, I switched the power supply between the two clocks.
When putting the tube to the new clock, there were no dark patches, only discoloured ones.
The new clock was now brighter than the older clock.
The tube finished healing on the new clock after 1 day and the digit discolouration is now gone.
I always assumed it was a clock issue because I've used two different power supplies (after the initial one), but they seemed to have the same problem.
And when I took the anode measurement, I used the same power supply for both clocks.
So, the problem is clearly not on the clock, but in the power supplies.
I've now connected the old clock to a 3A heavy duty power supply and the brightness is also good now.

I'm sorry for not testing more extensively. Probably could have saved some unnecessary discussion.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
8 months 1 week ago #7695 by Ian
Hmmm interesting. Do you have an idea what it is about the supply that is not good? It the voltage or the current delivery capability?

I wonder if there is a concept of a "perfect supply" at all? What would this mean? The ability to deliver into inductive loads is not that easy to achieve.

I wonder if Jürgens idea of delivering a supply with the kit is a good idea?

More
8 months 1 week ago #7696 by jwalton_mn
Have you checked the waveforms out of the supply while loaded? On rare occasions, I have seen a power supply deliver superimposed noise that can drive a regulator chip on the load side crazy... The fix is generally easy - deposit the power supply in the trash.

More
8 months 1 week ago #7697 by mazevedo
Trashed it.
It's not uncommon for cheaper power supplies not be able to deliver enough current.
I just assumed I have two like this out of a 6 pack I bought from China. That's a lesson never learned.
They are now both resting in the recycle bin.

More
7 months 2 weeks ago #7807 by Pacman223
Sorry to re-open this topic,..

Ian, have you decided to make an in-18 version of your clock kit?

Not that I need a new nixie project, but just wondering..

More
7 months 2 weeks ago #7808 by Ian
Yes, working on it, but it'll take a bit of time. I'll post a photo of the horrendous breadboard lash up if I get a moment... ;)

Moderators: AccutronTy_EeberfestIan
Time to create page: 0.037 seconds

Search

Tube Suppliers

Go to top
JSN Boot template designed by JoomlaShine.com