Levitating Nixie Clock!

More
1 year 7 months ago #7269 by Zedsquared
Has anyone else joined in this campaign on kickstarter?

www.kickstarter.com/projects/lasermad/ti...vitating-nixie-clock

I initially went for the pre built clock but have since changed to the "experimenters edition" kit instead. I'll keep you filled in with progress when it arrives :)

Meanwhile ... what are people's thoughts on fine grid vs normal grid IN-8-2 ? Which do you prefer? The fine grid looks like it might be better from a distance but has a rather irregular appearance in all the closeups I've seen, like it was wrapped by hand (probably was!). I quite like the honeycomb aspect of the regular grid but it does appear to obscure quite a lot of the digits in the photos I've seen... go on, try to persuade me either way :)

Cheers,
Robin.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
1 year 7 months ago #7271 by Pacman223
I put in a lot of hints to my wife, that this would be a great Christmas gift for me ... I just hope she got in... (She has backed a LOT of kick starters in the past, but she isn't much of a nixie fan :( )

I think the floating clock is very cool. I must say I'm not a huge fan of the +- tube in the middle, but I think it looks fantastic floating like that.

As far as fine vs Norma grid .. Here is my experience.

I used 6 fine grid IN-14 tubes on a QTC clock, they look fantastic.. I think they appear very clear, almost western like (like a Burroughs tube). I got the tubes off eBay and actually paid a little less for them than normal grid tubes (lucky?)

I have a Sven in in-8-2 normal grid. I LOVE them.. The grid pattern adds ruggedness to the Nixie tubes, makes them more USSR looking to me.

I have a set of IN-8 tubes that are fine grid (for a future clock). They look good, but as you said, the grid appears to be not as uniform as would be expected. They were sort of expensive tubes, I'm not 100% sure they were worth the premium over regular IN-8 tubes.

I think any clock you make with the fine grid tubes will look great, but I can say that normal IN-8-2 tubes look GREAT.. (Probably my favorite Nixie tube I have used so far).

This reminds me I need to start working on a IN-8 clock with sockets. Maybe I'll use the small (if not tiny) board that Ian has. Actually that sounds like a really good idea...
The following user(s) said Thank You: Zedsquared

More
1 year 7 months ago #7273 by Ian
Here's a picture from the Kickstarter page:

My comment here is that they did an fairly poor job on the photography of the leading photo on the page, much too much light on the tube grids, making them seem far too prominent.

In normal use with normal (i.e. not studio "flood") lighting, they are not at all that prominent.

The fine grid ones are still better, but I also like the "robustness" of the large grid tubes.
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Zedsquared

More
1 year 7 months ago #7286 by Zedsquared
Thanks for the opinions, I tend to agree that the hex grid looks more "soviet" and find myself in two minds as to whether this is good or not :) As the tubes are socketed and not absolutely outrageously priced I shall probably get both, after all you can never have too many nixies to hand, right?

Cheers,
Robin.

More
1 year 2 months ago #7646 by Pacman223
Any updates on this clock? have they shipped any of them?

More
1 year 2 months ago - 1 year 2 months ago #7649 by Ian
No, net yet, but there was an update today, so they are still alive.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/lasermad/time-flies-levitating-nixie-clock/updates
Last Edit: 1 year 2 months ago by Ian.

More
1 year 2 months ago - 1 year 2 months ago #7666 by judge
OMG I want one.

As far as fine grid v. coarse grid. I find that my favorite Nixie tubes are always the ones that I just bought. So right now that would be the ZM1000. Here is a little video I couldn't resist making!

(BTW Ian, embedding videos doesn't seem to work?)
Last Edit: 1 year 2 months ago by judge.

More
8 months 3 weeks ago #8034 by Scott
Fine Grid Vs Coarse Grid

This has always been a debatable point amongst Nixie tube users and basically it boils down to personal preference. In saying this coarse grid Nixie tubes are far more easily read at a distance compared to the fine grid versions which are better at closer distances.
A lot depends on the format of the grids used, tubes such as the XN-11, GNP-7A have a very good grid format whereas the IN-14 is a poor example. One of the best grids is the horizontal grid which gives the best clarity in viewing and the ZM1232 is a good example of this.

But in the end, beauty is in the eye of the beholder.
Attachments:

More
8 months 3 weeks ago #8039 by Pacman223
Scott, that is a nice tube. I have never seen / used tubes like that, though would love to.

I have thin grid IN-14 tubes, and I have made IN-14 clocks, I really like the thin grid tubes better... but.. robust grids like IN-14 have a quality all their own. Makes them look stronger some how - more Russian I think.

Did the levitating clock ship yet? I soo wanted one last year.

More
8 months 3 weeks ago #8044 by Zedsquared
The latest update has the kits shipping this weekend and ready made to follow. The feature creep got in and threw a few delays into the mix :)

www.kickstarter.com/projects/lasermad/ti...2019530?ref=activity

Looking forward to having a go at this one!

Cheers,
Robin.

Moderators: AccutronTy_EeberfestIan
Time to create page: 0.236 seconds

Search

Tube Suppliers

Go to top
JSN Boot template designed by JoomlaShine.com