Jenny Reloaded problem :(

More
1 year 6 months ago #7167 by Ty_Eeberfest
Actually would be better to do Step 2 (remove jumper) first, then Step 1, Step 3, etc.

Ty_Eeberfest wrote: 1) Pop IC2 out of its socket
1.5) read resistance from HV testpoint to ground.

2) Remove your jumper wire from T2 -> D4 for now.
2.5) read resistance from HV testpoint to ground.

3) Remove C13
3.5) read resistance from HV testpoint to ground.

4) Remove C20
4.5) read resistance from HV testpoint to ground.

5) Remove R4
5.5) read resistance from HV testpoint to ground.

6) Remove C5
6.5) read resistance from HV testpoint to ground.

7) Remove T2
7.5) read resistance from HV testpoint to ground.

Look into it later when the dust is clearing off the crater.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
1 year 5 months ago #7171 by Pacman223
just a quick update, I have been under the weather the past few days, and havve 't been able to get to it. hopefully this weekend I can do a little more trouble shooting.

Thanks for your help so far, hopefully I can get the clock back up and running.. I really like my Jenny Reloaded clock.

More
1 year 2 months ago #7189 by Pacman223
Small update.

I have ordered a new IV-13 clock kit and a new Jenny clock kit, with an extra Jenny reloaded Chip.

I really think at this point it must be the pic chip, and replacing it should work. But if I can't get the old clock to work, I have a new one to replace it with ! :)

If I get both to work, a neighbor is going to get a fine Xmas present!

Oh.. I'm super excited for my new numitron clock, I have. Been holding onto the tubes for 6 months now.

More
1 year 1 month ago - 1 year 1 month ago #7282 by Pacman223
another update.. got the new chip (and new jenny kit, just in case I can't get this one working again).

I'm about ready to give up on the clock..

The clock seems to work at the 5v part.. it beeps, the back lighting comes on.. ect... but the HV will not go above about 5 volts.

Soo here is what I did today.

I re-did the T2 point to point connections .. matched it to the new board.. i.e. found exactly where each pin connects.. and it seems to be correct now (I did have it wrong before)

I plug it in with the new chip.

T2 got supper hot.. the tubes do not come on..
less then a 2 or 3 sec.. smelled plastic melting.. I un-plug it.

looking at it.. it all seems good.

after trying a few more times, t2 no longer gets hot.. but the tubes still do not come on.

HV -> ground reads 5v.

I'm thinking one of the parts is now bad. but i'm not sure what it could be.

. across r5 (i.e. one end to the other end
reads around 56 ohms (that's right something is not right)
. across r6 similar.. 76sh ohms (chip installed)
with the chip removed R6- 22k
but r5- still 56 ohms..

TY asked for some readings... here they are.

IC out
HV-Ground = 560 ohms

with c13 removed
HV-G = 560 - 1.2k (about the same.. it jumps around on my volt meter.. a really nice fluke)

didn't remove c20, if you think its important I will
but its going to be tough getting it in again.

(didn't remove the others).

Ty- what do you think with the new info?

I'm about ready to give up on the clock.. here is my guess is that I must have another ruined part.

Do you think its even worth while continuing to work on it? or do you think its time to give up?

thanks,
Pacman
Last Edit: 1 year 1 month ago by Pacman223.

More
1 year 1 month ago - 1 year 1 month ago #7283 by Ty_Eeberfest
Okay, you only did some of the tests... troubleshooting by remote control like this is frustrating. Here in a couple sentences is the point of the exercise:

- Resistance from HV testpoint to ground should be no less that about 22K - definitely not 560R - and until that is corrected you will continue to have no HV and probably keep blowing up MOSFETs.

- Look at the schematic to understand why I said to pull those specific parts in that order. I am systematically removing every part that goes from HV to ground, one by one, and somewhere along the way the 560 ohms to ground will change to 22K or higher to ground, That is when you will know you have found the bad part.

Having said all that, if you feel like trusting a random guy on the Internet named "Ty_Eeberfest" you can send the whole mess to me and I will make it work. If you like that idea let me know here in the thread and we can figure out how to talk privately and work out details.

Look into it later when the dust is clearing off the crater.
Last Edit: 1 year 1 month ago by Ty_Eeberfest. Reason: HV, not HC - doh!

More
1 year 1 month ago - 1 year 1 month ago #7285 by Pacman223
ty,

Thanks for your help. I got a spare clock kit because I'm not sure I'm up to the task to figure out how to make it work again. If its not obvious what I damaged, I'm good building the new one.

I have done a lot of kits, this is the first one That died and I couldn't get to work.

Its a fun hobby! I might revisit it in the future or salvage its tubes for a new clock.. though vfd tubes may not hold the same visual quality as Nixie tubes.
Last Edit: 1 year 1 month ago by Pacman223.

More
8 months 2 weeks ago - 8 months 2 weeks ago #7644 by Pacman223
I haven't done much lately, very busy with other things :(.. family, vacations, stuff...

but I do have a small update...

After trying several more things, Jenny reloaded's HV line just refuses to work :(.. I may have to give up on the clock.. sad.. I really REALLY liked it.

but sort of related... I have a friend who has built two nixie clocks before, an IN-16 clock kit from ebay, and a PV electronics Frank, both worked out really well.. and both have been running good for about 3 years, though we had to replace the LED back lighting on 2 sockets on his Frank.

Anyway he was always jealous of my Sven clock.

So he buys the new Sven Reloaded Kit, tries to build it

Now he is getting the same problem.. the HV line is only reading 5v... :( we replaced the capacitors, I have checked everything 3 or 4 times.. he soldered everything correctly I think.. it just doesn't work and I don't know that we have a good way of finding out whats wrong with it :(..
:(.. he is very discouraged.

I LOVE nixiekits.eu clocks.. SOO well thought out, REALLY nice clocks.. :( but its discouraging, I have built probably 15 (including 5 nixiekit.eu clocks) and my first failed clock was the Jenny Reloaded. Now the last two I have ran into failed... and I don't think we did anything wrong... I think It must be a component failing... Transistor, capacitor, something... maybe we are shorting out the PIC chip.. just not sure..

I think I PV electronics kits (qtc for example) seem to be more forgiving , and more robust... For his NOS IN-8-2 tubes (no longer going into his Sven reloaded) I'm thinking I'm going to buy him a QTC kit. They have some nice new cases that look really good..

And... I'm Still waiting for a time that I can finish my home made clocks,I just need to find time to get it finished..
Last Edit: 8 months 2 weeks ago by Pacman223.

More
8 months 2 weeks ago #7650 by Ian
Do either of you guys have a scope? When this happens, it is usually the drive from the controller which is not "pumping" the inductor. If you look at the "HV PWM" line, do you see anything? This is pin13 of the controller. Also there is an "HV enable" switch, the utility of which totally evades me. In any case, you should probe all the way along the line, from the controller to the gate of the MOSFET.

I notice that the circuit uses voltage doublers to achieve the required voltage, so it is important to check TP1 (first stage HV output) and TP2 (final HV output). Only the first stage output is measured on the "HV SENSE" line, and the final voltage is doubled up from that.

Also, if for any reason the HV Adjust pot becomes dirty or unreliable, I would expect the HV circuit to fail.

Moderators: AccutronTy_EeberfestIan
Time to create page: 0.040 seconds

Search

Tube Suppliers

Go to top
JSN Boot template designed by JoomlaShine.com