TIMEON Nixie Tube Clock (Rickmansworth)

More
4 years 1 month ago #6069 by alichalres
Hi All,
Am new to TubeCLock db so I am hoping someone can help, apologies if this out of section.
I do not know an awful lot about nixie and its components but looking for some advice.
I have owned this ebay purchase for a year, I can find no details about it but recently it has started to lose time. Approx 5 minutes every hour.

Part curiosity about it's design and part annoyance has driven me to want to fix this problem.

The Clock is shown in the attachments it is a "TIMEON" clock made in Rickmansworth England engraved on the based.

Can any one offer a fix for the time lose or is this just expected over the lifetime? What would I need to replace to fix it?

Many Thanks in advance.
Ali

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
4 years 1 month ago #6070 by Ty_Eeberfest
Your attachments did not post. Please try again. If you were using Firefox to post, try using a different browser because for some reason Firefox never seems to work for posting attachments to this site.

About your clock losing time... this is only a wild guess but did you recently move to a different country, one with 50Hz mains power instead of 60Hz? Many "old school" Nixie clocks keep time by counting the mains powerline frequency.

Look into it later when the dust is clearing off the crater.

More
4 years 1 month ago - 4 years 1 month ago #6071 by alichalres
Thanks for the response.
Hopefully attachments included now.

Interestingly when I cast my mind back this did start occurring when I moved house, but that was only from London to Norfolk on the east coast of the UK.

So the power frequency is the same 50hz and I cannot believe there is this much power grid/provider variation in frequency to affect the time this much.

Any definite way of checking? Or work around or fixes known?

Thanks
Ali
Last Edit: 4 years 1 month ago by alichalres.

More
4 years 1 month ago - 4 years 1 month ago #6073 by alichalres
Attachments!
Attachments:

More
4 years 1 month ago - 4 years 1 month ago #6074 by alichalres
Attachment!
Attachments:

More
4 years 1 month ago #6077 by Ty_Eeberfest
Glad to see your attachments now work, because I didn't have any good answer for why they were failing. In fact I just did a test a few minutes ago using Chrome and my attachment posted normally...

Okay... you really need to see this:
groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/neonixie-l/vT9lNz49IK0

While it's not exactly the same unit as your clock, I'd say yours is probably using a motor for timing (how very odd!) like the one I've linked. So perhaps the problem is as simple as a dry bearing (bushing?) or something of the sort?

Look into it later when the dust is clearing off the crater.

More
4 years 1 month ago #6078 by alichalres
Great stuff. Thanks. I will investigate.

More
4 years 1 month ago #6080 by Pacman223
Is the clock plugged in to a ups? Or something next to it could be messing with its ability to detect the power frequency?

Just a thought

Moderators: AccutronTy_EeberfestIan
Time to create page: 0.039 seconds

Search

Tube Suppliers

Go to top
JSN Boot template designed by JoomlaShine.com