IEE one-plane readouts

More
4 years 10 months ago #5855 by 4077hawkeye
No eBay APP ID défined in Kunena configurationFound these displays and bought a few myself. These are the 4800 model NOT the 4799 model that some dude has had on ebay for a while. Whats the difference? Well the 4800 is numerals 0-9, whereas the 4799 is 0-4 and some colors. Imagine spending $ and not being able to make a clock :(

The numerals project about 3/4" high

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
4 years 10 months ago #5860 by Ty_Eeberfest
Thanks for the heads-up! I just went and bought a few too. While I'm waiting for them to get here I'll have to be thinking about what to use them for...

Look into it later when the dust is clearing off the crater.

More
4 years 10 months ago #5876 by Ty_Eeberfest
Mine arrived the other day. Pretty nifty little units. They seem somehow smaller than what I was expecting but they are indeed the devices pictured in the ad.

A couple things for anyone thinking of buying some of these devices from this seller: understand that you are buying used equipment that is of a fairly failure prone design. There are lots of delicate little springy contacts inside that I'm going to have to clean up. The contacts are gold plated but the bulb bases they touch are not, so there is mild corrosion. After that I can figure out how many bulbs are actually burnt out as opposed to not lighting due to bad contact. Also the front lenses (or should I say screens? the surface on which the numbers are projected) are not included. So it looks like the readouts aren't working right until you put a piece of Scotch tape or a bit of paper over the front of them.

More
4 years 8 months ago #5913 by 4077hawkeye
I finally finished my clock project using these displays! The font is awesome. I think its futura?

As Mr. Eeberfest said, they dont have a screen included. I ended up having a piece of ground glass custom cut to 4" x 1-3/4". There are a few sellers on ebay that will custom cut ground glass. They are meant for cameras, mainly medium format / large format, but work great for these screens. Seeing as they are meant to project as brightly and sharply as possible, I figured it would be great for this . . .but it might be overkill at $30 shipped.

I'll try to put the details together on my build but for now here are some pics:
Attachments:

More
4 years 8 months ago #5915 by Ty_Eeberfest
I like it! The cloth insulated power cord is a nice touch. Wondering how you made the colons and the "outline" effect around each digit. And yes, I think the font is indeed Futura Bold.

My displays are still sitting here on the desk looking at me and reminding me I need to work less and hobby more :dry: Still haven't decided whether to keep them "stock", i.e. replace burnt bulbs and fix dirty contacts, or retrofit them with really small really bright LEDs.

More
4 years 8 months ago #5916 by 4077hawkeye
I'll try to take some pics of the internals soon, the colon took some thinking. What I ended up doing is removing the metal rear part that holds all the bulbs in place from the back of one of the displays, and sliding it up so that it was flush with the four digits. I then ran the two bulbs in parallel with a resistor to get them around 1.9v as they were way too bright compared to the digits.

The bigger issue was that this thing was cooking when I first put it all together. I ended up mounting a 30mm fan on the bottom to force air out the back. Its running MUCH cooler now

More
4 years 8 months ago #5921 by kay486
Oh wow, now this clock looks truly amazing!

Moderators: AccutronTy_EeberfestIan
Time to create page: 0.040 seconds

Search

Tube Suppliers

Go to top
JSN Boot template designed by JoomlaShine.com