Personal dilemma...

More
7 years 1 month ago #2459 by ChrisJohnson00TA
So, I'm looking at buying my first tube clock. I've been in love with Nixie's for years and I've always wanted one. Now's the time.

I am heavily torn between 2 clocks...

The Nocrotec V600 and the cold warcreations #3.

I guess I'm looking at pro's and con's. I will be sitting in front of this clock for 12-18 hours a day as it will be on my desk.

Do I need to worry about ESD or interference with these sitting right under my monitors?

It will be sitting between the left and center monitor.. right where the fish tank (used to be) is located in the picture.

Thanks for any input :)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
7 years 1 month ago - 7 years 1 month ago #2461 by GregP
The Nocrotec V600 has larger prettier tubes than the Cold War Creations clock, plus the V600 is direct drive not multiplexed. Direct drive = much brighter digit illumination.
Last Edit: 7 years 1 month ago by GregP.

More
7 years 1 month ago #2462 by ChrisJohnson00TA
Hey Greg, shoot me an email and we'll see if we can work something out.

chris at thehouseofjohnson dt net

More
7 years 1 month ago - 7 years 1 month ago #2463 by GregP
Chris,

Your email is bouncing.
Last Edit: 7 years 1 month ago by GregP.

More
7 years 1 month ago #2464 by Stuckey
As far as the ESD - I have had both clocks sitting underneath my monitors and never had a problem. My speakers never had that annoying buzzing sound and I never noticed any other negative effects.

Also, don't limit yourself to just one clock :)

"If the laws of physics don't apply in the future, then god help you."
www.ineedcaffeine.com
www.facebook.com/brian.stuckey
twitter.com/brianstuckey

More
7 years 1 month ago - 7 years 1 month ago #2465 by ChrisJohnson00TA
Thanks Stuckey... I noticed that in your videos.. only one of your videos has audible hum, and only when you actually touch the clock.

I won't limit myself to one.. I just wanted to get the first one right ;)

It's been hard for me - admittedly I have -0- build skills and it seems that every clock I find and love, hasn't been for sale in years.

The V600 looks to be slightly less tech-savvy - do I need to worry about the nixies burning or posioning out faster than the CWC's?

Admittedly, the NixieChron was at the top of my list, but no fully assembled version = not for me.

You've reviewed a ton of clocks Stuckey... personal fav?
Last Edit: 7 years 1 month ago by ChrisJohnson00TA.

More
7 years 1 month ago #2467 by Stuckey
I noticed that hum when I was editing the video. I've never heard it on my computer speakers, oddly. Only in that specific video while wearing my microphone.

0-build skills - I'm right there with you :)

As far as the NixiChron goes - Jeff seems to be selling them without tubes on his site but I don't know if he has any in stock.

Personal favorite? I know this is a cop-out but each clock has it's benefits. The Nocrotec clock has much larger digits and is easier to read from a distance. The CWC clock has an awesome enclosure unlike any other that I've seen.

So which is more important? The tube size or the enclosure?

As far as the life of the tube - replacing tubes in the V600 will be easier because they are socketed. I don't recall for sure but I believe that the CWC tubes are soldered in place. I'm not sure which has a longer life - let me see if I can find any datasheets comparing them.

"If the laws of physics don't apply in the future, then god help you."
www.ineedcaffeine.com
www.facebook.com/brian.stuckey
twitter.com/brianstuckey

Moderators: AccutronTy_EeberfestIan
Time to create page: 0.041 seconds

Search

Tube Suppliers

Go to top
JSN Boot template designed by JoomlaShine.com