Drobo S v2?

• Stuckey
  • Stuckey's Avatar Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Entrepreneur, Nerd, Caffeine addict
More
7 years 8 months ago #1118 by Stuckey
Does anyone have a Drobo? Do you like it?

I have a massive amount of photographs and video that I've produced and I need a better storage solution than my collection of cheap external drives with manual duplication for protection.

If you have one or have used one, I'd appreciate any feedback you have on it :cheer:

"If the laws of physics don't apply in the future, then god help you."
www.ineedcaffeine.com
www.facebook.com/brian.stuckey
twitter.com/brianstuckey

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
7 years 8 months ago #1127 by bcoggs
What does it do that this doesn't do ?

www.qnap.com/pro_detail_feature.asp?p_id=134

Has the customary http gui, but runs linux and you can ssh onto it if there is something you need to do custom (like a recursive chown or something).

I have been using a qnap for 3+ years. Hasn't burped once. Back it up to an external drive located elsewhere via a nightly perl script.

• Stuckey
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
7 years 8 months ago #1130 by Stuckey
I did look at the Qnap one quite a bit but two things that I like about the drobo:

1 - I can add more disks without rebuilding the raid

2 - built in automatic two drive failure protection

As far as your qnap goes, what kind of performance do you get on it? I'm looking to backup 500GB of photos and perform 1080p HD video editing on it so that is why I was leaning towards Drobo.

I still haven't purchased one but I need to get something soon :-/

www.ineedcaffeine.com
twitter.com/brianstuckey

• Stuckey
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
7 years 8 months ago #1132 by Stuckey
Wait...it looks like the qnap supports the online expansion. I missed that fact the first time.

nice....

www.ineedcaffeine.com
twitter.com/brianstuckey

More
7 years 8 months ago #1134 by bcoggs
yes, from my understanding, the iscsi thing will let you expand a single mount point dynamically.. it looks like I can upgrade my old qnap and get it to join in...

dont't know the raw perf.. been workin for my environment (9 machines, 2 normal users, 1 power user) figure the long pole in the tent after your particular pc and the app you are running, followed by the drive followed by the LAN.

for 1080p editing isn't the right thing to do is to use a sshd or hybrid sshd and proxy files ? (I'm just getting more serious into video; my 16 yr old is in 2 rock bands and I have been elected official documentarian.. if I play my cards right I may get an EOD5D for my birthday)

• Stuckey
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
7 years 8 months ago #1135 by Stuckey
You will love the 5DII :) That is what I am using and my primary source of footage.

I could use proxy files but since most of my stuff is only a few minutes long lots of the benefit is lost. Most of my time is spend in After Effects which is way less than real time :)

(Videos for this site, however, are done in iMovie for speed reasons...)

www.ineedcaffeine.com
twitter.com/brianstuckey

More
7 years 7 months ago #1176 by bcoggs
Well my 2nd QNap arrived and I am replicating about 600GB onto it. Going at about 10GB/hour. That is without regular file serving turned off. I'm very plesed with Qnap has gone; Nice UI w/lots of turnkey features for the layuser. But they also let you ssh into the box and have your way with it.

I'll have to try out the encrypted drive feature for backups; That way, I can detach those and send them off-site for safe keeping in case of meteor strike.

More
7 years 2 weeks ago #2458 by ChrisJohnson00TA
I know, I know.. OLD thread..

Did you end up buying something?

If you haven't.. I'd heavily recommend against buying Drobo. I'm a computer geek and I thought that Drobo was cool for all the reasons you mentioned. In fact, I was so sold on the idea that I pushed several clients to buy Pro's. I ended up with 8 Pro's at 6 client locations and have had a 50% failure rate in 12 months. 4 dead in 12 months at different locations.

They were all replaced under warranty, but that doesn't help my clients being down for a day or two at a time.

Forget it.

Backup your drobo... you've been warned! :p

I have a QNAP TS-659 and have since sold 4 more to different clients.. not one has even hiccuped. They are FAST. Much faster than the drobo even in iSCSI setup. I have a iSCSI connection to my QNAP and attach it to my main system for off-system storage. You can run rsync and a huge number of tools on qnap that you just can't do with a drobo.

• Stuckey
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
7 years 2 weeks ago #2470 by Stuckey
Yea, the thread is a little old. I did end up getting the Drobo for various reasons and no problems so far.

Out of curiosity, what kinds of problems did you see? Hardware failure? Virtual volume corruption? Something else?

www.ineedcaffeine.com
twitter.com/brianstuckey

More
7 years 2 weeks ago #2484 by ChrisJohnson00TA
Every one of them has been hardware failure followed by panic phone calls to drobo to have them over night new ones to my customers.

Moderators: AccutronTy_EeberfestIan
Time to create page: 0.040 seconds

Search

Tube Suppliers

Go to top
JSN Boot template designed by JoomlaShine.com